We've had 20 years now to get to know Gump, Forrest Gump, but surely we don't quite know everything yet. In celebration of the twentieth anniversary and re-release of "Forrest Gump," 13 things you probably didn't know about the classic Tom Hanks movie.
1. Tom Hanks ad-libbed the line "My name is Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump."
2. After the scene in which Forrest is told to "keep his eye on the ball" while playing ping pong, he never blinks in the ping pong scene.
3. But in every single picture of Forrest shown, his eyes are closed.
4. After every time jump, Forrest is always wearing a blue plaid shirt.
5. Haley Joel Osment played the role of Forrest Gump, Jr.
6. Tom Hanks' brother, Jim Hanks, was actually filmed in many of the running scenes.
7. When young Forrest tries to find a seat on the bus, one of the girls who denies him is Tom Hanks' real-life daughter, Elizabeth Hanks.
The first boy in the clip is Alexander Zemeckis, director Robert Zemeckis' son.
9. Sally Field, who played Forrest's mother, is actually only 10 years older than Tom Hanks
10. Winston Groom, the original novel's author, said that he envisioned John Goodman for the role of Forrest.
11. When Forrest carries Bubba, Bubba was actually suspended by a wire -- Tom Hanks couldn't carry Mykelti Williamson
12. In the novel, Forrest become an astronaut, making Lt. Dan's line about him being an astronaut an in-joke. (Of course, in "Apollo 13," Gary Sinise and Tom Hanks played astronauts as well.)
13. The bench that Forrest famously sits on in Chippewa Square was brought in specially for filming. After the shoot, it was removed and placed in the Savannah History Museum.
What's your favorite scene from "Forrest Gump?" Let us know in the comments below!