1. Walking onto campus feels exciting, intimidating, and magical
The architecture is so beautiful you might as well be living in a fairy tale.
2. There's an absolutely essential tool that you cannot live without
For wizards, it's a wand. For muggles, it's a laptop.
3. You get lost constantly
4. So you start carrying around a map
5. You meet people in the strangest ways
Girls form many friendships in frat bathrooms, because there's no better bonding experience than peeing in dirty bathrooms with no toilet paper. Just sayin'.
6. First impressions are everything
Even though all your first impressions will probably be very wrong.
7. Terrifying bugs lurk in unsuspecting corners of your dorm
You can't see them, but they sure can see you.
8. You miss people
You miss your parents, your siblings, your friends back home, and your dog. You'll stay in touch with everyone who matters most to you and lose touch with the rest -- and that's OK.
9. You end up on listservs you definitely never signed up for
Owls are basically the Wizarding World's equivalent to emails.
10. There's entirely too much required reading
11. You become fiercely passionate about your college's sports teams
Even if you don't actually care about sports outside of school. You're more of a fan of the tailgating than the actual game, anyway.
12. There's at least one star athlete that the whole school fangirls over
13.Your university's president exudes wisdom and sophistication
He or she is basically a celebrity on campus.
14. The school song is borderline tacky
"Hogwarts, Hogwarts, hoggy warty Hogwarts, teach us something please…"
15. Your school's paper or blog or whatever has ALL the scandalous gossip
16. Course registration is a hot mess
The process of enrolling students in classes is just as confusing as the Sorting Hat's logic. Unless you beg and plead with your school's registrar and professors, you won't get into that one class -- or in Harry's case, house -- you really, really want to be in.
17. Writing notes by hand is painful
Professors talk a mile a minute. Good luck trying to frantically scribble down all your lecture notes when you inevitably have a prof who doesn't allow laptops in class.
18. Weird things happen in the coed bathrooms
19. You don't always get things right the first time
20. You'll have at least one awesome professor…
21. …a prof who tries way too hard…
22. …a prof who honestly wants to help you succeed…
23. …and a prof who scares the sh-- out of you
24. Things can feel a little overwhelming at times
25. You develop a secret crush on someone who lives in your dorm
Hey, dormcest is a thing that happens.
26. There's that one obnoxious kid you just wanna punch
But please don't actually punch them.
27. You see things you can't unsee on the the dance floor
28. Rando noises wake you up in the middle of the night
Hopefully it's just loud street traffic and not your housemates doing the dirty. We recommend buying ear plugs.
29. Then there's those times when you try to have a private moment, but your roommate is still there
And they're probably in bed Netflixing "Law and Order" re-runs with no pants on.
30. There are kisses with uncomfortable amounts of moisture
For Harry, it was Cho Chang's tears. For you, it may be a rather sloppy dance floor make out (a.k.a. DFMO).
31. Candy is always an acceptable snack
It's too bad Reese's Cups don't come with wizarding cards.
32. You do funky stuff to fulfill your gen. ed. requirements
Lookin' at you, mandatory science lab with rat dissections.
33. Communicating with your parents is a struggle
You love your 'rents and miss them like crazy, but you get a flood of questions every time you call them: "Are you eating properly?" (Yes.) "Are you sure about that major?" (Ugh.) "Are you dating anyone yet?" (No, but thanks for reminding me.)
34. People consume questionable beverages
35. Like Harry, you also know true pain -- in the form of a brutal, merciless hangover
36. Figuring out the mind of the opposite sex is still a mystery
37. Getting home for fall break is a nightmare and a half
Oh, you want to catch a bus/train/flight on time? You'll have an easier time searching for Platform 9 3/4.
38. You stand up for your friends
39. If you decide to rush, you get a swanky chapter house to hang out in
You don't get a singing fat lady to guard it like the Gryffindor common room, but it's still pretty cool.
40. And you're constantly decked out in your sorority/fraternity's colors
Just like Hogwarts students always sport their house's colors.
41. Halloween is a very important holiday
42. You find friends that get you
It may take some time, but it WILL happen.
43. Graduation seems a lifetime away
Truth is, it'll get here before you know it. College feels like it goes by faster than reading a Harry Potter book.
44. Soon you can't imagine living anywhere else
45. And finally, you learn to embrace the unexpected