After watching the “Break Free” video, I’d like to formally induct Ariana Grande into the pantheon of interplanetary pop divas. The VMA performer’s valiant efforts to rescue kidnapped aliens across the universe while simultaneously promoting zero-gravity “Barbarella” babeliness are much appreciated in these troubling times, and for that I salute her.
OK, so this is really just an excuse to re-watch a bunch of the most iconic outer space-themed videos made by the biggest ladies in pop music. We’ve got Britney Spears’ “Oops!” mission to Mars, Janet Jackson’s space odyssey — sorry, make that odysseys — Katy Perry’s sex-traterrestrial tale of attraction, and more. Bye to your entire night.
1. Presenting our newest inductee, Ariana Grande! Cue the roaring Wookiees.
3. In space, no one can hear you scream. Unless you’re Janet Jackson.
5. Katy Perry found love (and a pair of alien deer legs) in her galaxy-tripping “E.T.” video.
6. While Ciara and Nicki Minaj laid the zero-G smackdown on some dumb ex in “I’m Out.”
8. Kylie Minogue’s “Put Yourself In My Place” is kinda like what would happen if 4-year-old you re-enacted “Gravity” with your Totally Hair Barbie.
9. Then there was that time Cher ruled as Empress of All Space Ever in “The Music’s No Good Without You.”
10. Oh yeah, and remember when Lady Gaga birthed the cosmos in “Born This Way”?