Winter comes in April, when "Game of Thrones" returns for its fourth season — and from the look and sound of it, we're in for a hell of a ride.
The [article id="1720291"]first full trailer[/article] for the HBO fantasy series arrived on Sunday night (January 12), packed with fierce one-liners and dialogue exchanges aplenty. Here's a look at seven of the craziest lines uttered in the trailer.
1. "The war's not won." — Jaime Lannister
Joffrey feels confident in his reign as king of Westeros, now that he's crushed chief rival Robb Stark and the greater Northern army. But if the wicked little boy-king thinks the battle is over, he's in for a rude awakening, as his secret-daddy is more than happy to tell him.
2. "It's tempting to see your enemies as evil, but there's good and evil on both sides of every war ever fought." — Jorah Mormont
The late Lord Commander Mormont's son drops some serious truth here, speaking to one of the essential themes running throughout "Thrones": even the noblest heroes have demons, and even the vilest villain can achieve redemption. (Except for Joffrey. And Ramsay Bolton. And Gregor Clegane. And, okay, a lot of people on "Game of Thrones.")
3. "They have a choice: they can live in my new world, or they can die in their old one." — Daenerys Targaryen
The rightful Queen of Westeros continues her rampage through Essos this season, this time targeting the slaver city of Meereen. Unlike her most recent victories, conquering Meereen won't be a walk in the park, even with dragons on her side — so you'll forgive Dany for seeming a bit temperamental.
4. "You'll fight over him like beasts until you tear him apart. I will burn our house to the ground before I let that happen." — Cersei Lannister
Say what you will about her, but if nothing else, Cersei is a doting mother — even when she has an absolute monster and pathetic excuse of a human being for a son.
5. "There is only one hell: the one we live in now." — Melisandre
That Red Priestess sure loves her fire metaphors, doesn't she?
6. "Tell your father I'm here. And tell him the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts." — Oberyn Martell
Ominous words from one of the most enigmatic and alluring new players of the coming season: Prince Oberyn Martell, alias the Red Viper of Dorne. Saying much more would be saying too much; suffice it to say, he's a character to watch.
7. "If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place." — Tyrion Lannister
Another sentence that sums up "Thrones" in its entirety. Never forget that this is the series that beheaded its lead character before the end of the first season, and later crushed an entire storyline's worth of characters in a single blow. "Game of Thrones" is a lot of things, but "just" has never been one of them.