G.O.O.D. Music’s rumored follow-up to Cruel Summer is shrouded in so much secrecy that not even the artists themselves seem to know exactly what’s going on. Pusha T says it isn’t happening, but when we caught up with Travis Scott, he said the project is still on the table.
“I’ma come all the way clean man: ‘Ye still go all the way hard about Cruel Winter, so you just never know,” Scott told us of Kanye West‘s enthusiasm for G.O.O.D. Music’s Cruel Summer follow-up when he walked the red carpet for the 2013 BET Awards on June 30. “He might just drop that sh– out of nowhere, man. But he still go hard.”
Scott is aware of all of the conflicting reports, but he says he won’t believe the project is dead unless Kanye himself takes it off the table.
“Until I hear ‘Ye be like, ‘It’s not coming out’ then that’s when I can say it’s ‘not coming out’ but he still goin’ ham,” he said with confidence. “Maybe it’s not right now, maybe it’s not next year, but you can expect one for sure.”
Last September, just weeks after G.O.O.D. released Cruel Summer, it was team member Q-Tip who first brought up the notion of a follow-up in an interview with MTV News. When we asked why the veteran rapper and producer didn’t make a noted contribution to Cruel Summer, Tip suggested that a sequel was in the works. “If there’s a Cruel Summer then there’s got to be a Cruel Winter right?” he asked cryptically.
Since then, numerous members of the G.O.O.D. family have weighed in on the project. Pusha T, who was present for the initial Q-Tip interview, has shot down the notion on a number of occasions. Earlier this month, he said outright that the album is not happening in an interview with Power 98 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
“We’re not doing the Cruel Winter album or the Cruel Summer sequel. There are too many projects we got going on,” he said, listing Kanye’s Yeezus, Big Sean’s Hall of Fame, 2 Chainz’s B.O.A.T.S. II and his own solo debut, My Name is My Name.