“I won for the boys!” Arbos said excitedly after Randy Jackson gave him the bad news, according to Entertainment Weekly. “I’m the next American Boy Idol.” Arbos said he felt like he made up for his two dismal Wednesday night performances with his last-ditch cover of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” on Thursday. But it wasn’t quite enough to convince the judges to issue the final save of the season. “I wish I could have gone home on a better note. Some notes were rough,” he said.
In a season where producers have clearly stacked the deck to break the string of five straight male winners, Arbos was the fifth male in a row to get the boot. The previous bootee, Burnell Taylor, was not shy about sharing his feelings about Lazaro’s ejection. “GOD IS GOOD!” tweeted Taylor — who may or may not be dating finalist Amber Holcomb — in the latest breach of what was formerly a strictly shiny, happy vibe projected by ex-contestants.
Though he clearly has big plans for his future, Arbos offered an interesting variation on the standard “you ain’t seen the last of me!” rap given by those who don’t make it to the “Idol” finish line. “My main goal wasn’t to win a TV show. My main goal was to get known as an artist and to have people who love me,” he said. “And I’m one step closer to that. As long as I get signed and I go on tour and people buy my records I’ll be fine.”
In the meantime, he’s hoping to perform in the Philippines, record a pop album with heart and maybe, just maybe, land a cameo on one of TV’s most beloved shows. According to EW, he said he’s like to get in touch with “Glee” boss Ryan Murphy to see if he could, like last year’s “Idol” runner-up Jessica Sanchez, get his own character arc.
Get your “Idol” fix on MTV News” “American Idol” page, where you’ll find all the latest “Idol” news, interviews and opinions.