The second inquest into the death of singer Amy Winehouse found the exact same result as the first: the "Rehab" star died as a result of accidental alcohol poisoning.
The findings of the first investigation into Winehouse's death were [article id="1678395"]thrown out[/article] because it was determined that the coroner who oversaw the first inquest did not have the proper qualifications. Winehouse, who [article id="1667799"]died at age 27[/article] on July 23, 2011, had more than five times the legal drunk driving limit of alcohol in her system when she died in her Camden, England apartment.
According to BBC News, Dr. Shirley Radcliffe determined that Winehouse died from "alcohol toxicity," noting that it was a level of alcohol "commonly associated with fatality." Radcliffe also said that the star had "voluntarily consumed alcohol," and that two empty bottles of vodka were found on the floor beside her body when it was discovered.
As part of the investigation, Winehouse's personal physician, Dr. Christina Romete, said she saw Amy the night before her death and recalled that, "She specifically said she did not want to die." However, Romete added, "She was genuinely unwilling to follow the advice of doctors, being someone who wanted to do things her own way."
Winehouse famously [article id="1668091"]struggled with drug and alcohol addiction[/article] during her short life, but investigators found no presence of [article id="1669512"]illegal drugs[/article] in her system at the time of death. At the time of her death, the Grammy-winning star's father, Mitch Winehouse, said he daughter had been drug-free for some time.
Investigators determined that there were no suspicious circumstances involved in Winehouse's death and a post mortem exam gave the cause of death as alcohol toxicity, which likely led to respiratory arrest.