It's time to get into the fighting spirit, folks — the MTV Movie Brawl 2013 is officially on!
Voting for this year's tournament is currently underway over at MTV Movies Blog. Round one voting lasts until early next Monday morning (January 14), when our massive list of 40 competitors whittles down to a leaner, meaner 16. For more details on how to participate in the first round, click here. For now, read on for some fun facts about some of this year's competitors:
1. Katniss Everdeen is out for blood. "The Hunger Games" placed second in the inaugural MTV Movie Brawl, losing against the Robert Pattinson-led "Cosmopolis" with mere seconds left on the clock. But with the sequel, "Catching Fire," hitting theaters in November, Team Katniss enters the competition with a reputation to restore, and a score to settle.
2. Also familiar with the ways of the MTV Movie Brawl are Tony Stark and his thunderous pal Thor. Both characters advanced to the 2012 bracket stage of voting via "The Avengers," but lost in a mighty battle against "The Dark Knight Rises." With interest in Marvel hotter than ever, can "Iron Man 3" and "Thor: The Dark World" avenge Earth's mightiest heroes in this year's competition? We know this much: it's never wise to bet against a billionaire playboy philanthropist and his hammer-wielding alien amigo.
3. Bilbo Baggins also returns to the Movie Brawl arena, this time representing the second chapter in the "Hobbit" trilogy, "The Desolation of Smaug." His first go around, Bilbo led his company of dwarves to the third round of the Movie Brawl, losing against the Daniel Radcliffe-led "Woman in Black." But this time, a "Hobbit" movie has already been released; fans know what to expect from Peter Jackson's new series. Will that help or hinder "The Hobbit" as it enters its second Movie Brawl?
4. There's yet another familiar title in the mix this year: "G.I. Joe: Retaliation." Originally slated for release in June 2012, the second "G.I. Joe" film was pushed to a March 2013 release date to accommodate a 3-D conversion. Will the delayed release hurt the Joe squad's chances in its second year? Or has it only built anticipation further? Only Cobra knows for sure!
5. While there's no "Twilight" presence in the Movie Brawl this year, there are plenty of YA competitors to pick up the slack — like "Beautiful Creatures," "Warm Bodies" and "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones," to name a few. On second thought, there is a "Twilight" presence, in the form of "The Host," based on author Stephenie Meyer's novel. We don't have a crystal ball, but something tells us that Teams Edward, Jacob and Everybody-Else-In-Forks will come out in full force to support Meyer's latest work.
And those are just the highlights. By all accounts, 2013's Brawl is poised to be even bigger than 2012's massive tournament — so if you want your movie to advance to the next round, there's only one thing you can do: vote now, and vote often!
Who will win the brawl for it all? Your must-see movie needs your support. It's time to show character, poise and heart. Vote for your picks in the MTV Movie Brawl 2013!