Director Tony Scott’s death Sunday still has all of Hollywood reeling from the news. Scott’s “Top Gun” leading man Tom Cruise released a statement regarding the loss of his “good friend.”
“He was a creative visionary whose mark on film is immeasurable,” Cruise said in a statement obtained by The Wrap. “My deepest sorrow and thoughts are with his family at this time.”
Cruise and Scott’s collaboration on the 1986 actioner remains one of the most memorable in the director’s incredibly successful career. At the time of Scott’s death, the pair were working on getting a “Top Gun” sequel off the ground, along with producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
“We’re working on it,” Cruise told MTV News in June at the “Rock of Ages” premiere. “We’ll see what happens, if I can figure out the script and we get it. It would be fun getting into those jets. I want to get in those jets!”
Scott had said previously that their next “Top Gun” film would not be a typical sequel.
“It’s not even a reinvention, it’s not even a sequel. It’s a re-thinking,” Scott said about focusing the story on the new generation of fighter pilots. “What inspired me is that the world today is great, it’s so different from the world we touched originally. It’s really run by guys sitting in Nevada on computers playing war games.”
Scott died when he jumped off a bridge near Long Beach, California. Reports have recently surfaced that the 68-year-old’s suicide might have been prompted by his suffering from inoperable brain cancer.
Tweet us your Tony Scott thoughts @MTVNews.