Following speculation about the direction Katie Holmes’ movie career may take in the wake of her divorce from Tom Cruise, news broke Thursday (July 19) that the actress will be Broadway-bound later this year.
Playwright Theresa Rebeck told TheWrap that Holmes will be appearing in her play “Dead Accounts” when it comes to Broadway this fall. Holmes’ character is described as a woman in her 30s who still lives with her parents and whose life gets shaken up when her brother rolls back into their Cincinnati town under some bizarre circumstances.
“It’s beyond cool, honestly. The whole team is lively as hell. I am positively tingling with delight,” Rebeck said. The playwright was a finalist for the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for Drama for co-writing “Omnium Gatherum” with Alexandra Gersten Vassilaros.
“Dead Accounts” is set to open at the Music Box Theatre in New York, although the opening date hasn’t yet been released. Holmes is the only castmember announced thus far, and Tony Award-winning director Jack O’Brien is attached to the play.
Her role in “Dead Accounts” won’t be Holmes first time tackling Broadway. In 2008, she co-starred with John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest and Patrick Wilson in a revival of the Arthur Miller play “All My Sons.”
Since news first broke of her divorce from Cruise last month, a number of new career opportunities have surfaced for Holmes. Besides this recent Broadway announcement, Holmes has appeared to be staying busy workwise, filming a guest stint on “Project Runway: All Stars,” and a movie with Chace Crawford is on the horizon.
Holmes will also find herself on a different stage in September at New York Fashion Week when Holmes & Yang, the line she co-designs, makes its debut there.