Nine people were stabbed on Saturday night during one of Swedish House Mafia’s final shows together. The incident took place at Dublin, Ireland’s Phoenix Park, where the trio were headlining. A suspect in the case appeared in court on Monday (July 9) to answer to the charges.
According to BBC News, the unnamed 23-year-old man is just one of a number of suspects police are searching for in the stabbing spree, which was part of what officials are calling a “significant number” of unprovoked attacks at the show. Two people were seriously injured at the show, where a 20-year-old man also died unexpectedly from a suspected drug overdose.
Investigators believe the suspect in custody stabbed as many as four people and that the other victims’ injuries were a result of fights with knives and broken bottles. More than 45,000 people attended the show headlined by Swedish House Mafia and a spokesman for the event said that closed-circuit TV footage had been handed over to police, adding that ticket holders were subject to searches before entering the site.
“Every precaution, as far as possible, was taken to ensure the safety and security of the audience at all times,” said Denis Desmond. “Despite our best efforts – with security and gardaí [Irish police] personnel levels well in excess of the required numbers for a licensed event of this size – there is only so much one can do to combat anti-social behavior.”
The Irish Independent reported that three men remained in a hospital as of Sunday, with two in serious, but stable condition. The sister of one of the men said that her brother had been stabbed four times in the back by an unknown assailant and later suffered a collapsed lung.
The group posted a response to the stabbings on their Facebook page on Monday, writing, “We played a festival in Ireland at the weekend and reports of incidents are coming to us. We didn’t see anything but have asked for all the info and are respectful of the promoter’s need to wait and give us all the clear facts. When we know more we will liase with the Festival promoter directly on what we can do to help but for now we have to respect their request to us that we remain quiet and respectful of their event safety processes. The festival itself was amazing and we had no idea this had happened and neither did the other numerous artists who played. Once we know all the facts we will deal with it in the best way we can.”
SHM announced in June that they were calling it quits , but not before a final spate of shows. The Phoenix Park gig is one of the last festival events on the trio’s current slate of goodbye shows, though more are expected to be announced in August.