Jim Carrey's reps confirmed on Wednesday that he has left the proposed "Dumb and Dumber" sequel, the cleverly titled "Dumb and Dumber To," due to a conflict with the studios, New Line and Warner Bros.
Later that day, MTV News spokes with Carrey's co-star from the original, Jeff Daniels, as he walked the red carpet for his upcoming HBO series, Aaron Sorkin's "The Newsroom."
Daniels' answer was succinct and confirmed what many feared would be the implication of Carrey's departure. "No, nobody's doing it without Jim," he said.
As "Entertainment Tonight" had previously reported, Carrey exited the sequel to the Farrelly Brothers' follow-up to the 1994 comedy because New Line and Warner Bros. did not care enough about the project.
"According to sources, Carrey grew increasingly frustrated by New Line and Warner Brothers, who he felt showed a lack of enthusiasm regarding the project," "ET" claimed.
When the entertainment show reached out to Carrey's representation, they confirmed the departure and delivered a statement from the actor himself. "I would have thought 'Dumb and Dumber To' was a no-brainer," he said. "After all, it's implied in the title."
Daniels' insistence that a sequel would not happen without Carrey's involvement should not come as a surprise. The main draw of "Dumb and Dumber To" was that it would reunite the stars of the beloved movie for the first time.
"Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd," a prequel to the original that featured none of the original's key players, bombed at the box office in 2003.
Do you think a "Dumb and Dumber" sequel can go on without Jim Carrey? Leave your comment below!
Check out everything we've got on "Dumb and Dumber."
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.