After a controversial interview in the February issue of Men's Journal magazine went viral this week, [article id="1677143"]"Contraband" star[/article] Mark Wahlberg issued an apology on Wednesday for suggesting that he might have changed the course of history on the day of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks.
In the interview, Wahlberg — who was scheduled to be on the flight from Boston to Los Angeles that morning which ended up crashing into one of the World Trade Center towers — said that if he had been there things might have turned out differently.
"If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did," said Wahlberg, 40, who ended up taking a private charter plane earlier in the week and avoiding the flight that was overtaken by terrorists. "There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.' "
Excerpts from the interview made their way online on Wednesday and TMZ reported that Deena Burnett-Bailey, the widow of a 9/11 victim who was killed on United Airlines flight 93 when it crashed in a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after terrorists tried to divert it to Washington, D.C., called the comments "disrespectful." A short time later, Wahlberg issued his apology.
"To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with, and to suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible," said Wahlberg in a statement. "I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention."