Steven Tyler Explains Hotel Room Fall

'You can't handle the tooth,' bruised Aerosmith frontman jokes, attributing his tumble to illness from food poisoning.

After news broke that Steven Tyler had fallen in his Paraguay hotel room, fans wondered about what may have caused the 63-year-old rock legend to take a tumble that required emergency dental work and stitches to his face.

On Thursday (October 27), Tyler opened up about the spill to Matt Lauer on the “Today” show, clearing up any speculation that he had fallen off the wagon.

“Being in the program, it’s something we have to expect,” Tyler said, referring to his past substance abuse issues. “People thinking that is natural and normal. We flew last night from Paraguay after that incident and we’re in Argentina for two hours. And anyone who knows anyone who uses substances wouldn’t be up at this hour having a talk with Matt Lauer and the rest of America. It’s nothing that I don’t understand. I get that people think that. It makes me a little upset.”

Lauer then asked the Aerosmith singer point-blank whether he was sober, and the “American Idol” judge assured him he was clean. “No, it’s not the issue,” Tyler said, adding that he was suffering from food poisoning when he began to feel ill and passed out in the shower.

Tyler and the band were forced to cancel their gig on Tuesday night, but a bruised Steven did take the stage on Wednesday, according to TMZ.

“Short of having my legs taken off, people are going to expect me onstage, no matter what,” the singer, who lost two teeth, said on “Today.” “I went out onstage last night and I wore my sunglasses for the first song. I took them off and the crowd roared. It’s all about playing to the people. We rocked out. Not only did I break my face, but we broke a house record, so life is beautiful, Matt.”

Share your well-wishes for Steven Tyler in the comments.