Lindsay Lohan has not yet spoken in public about the felony grand theft charge she’s facing for reportedly stealing a $2,500 necklace from a Venice, California, jewelry store in January. But on Thursday, a day after posting bail and being released from jail in the case, the 24-year-old actress defended herself via Twitter.
“I would never steal, in case people are wondering,” she tweeted. “I was not raised to lie, cheat or steal.”
Lohan also lashed out at detractors who said the clingy white minidress she wore to court was inappropriate given the gravity of the situation. She is facing three years in prison if convicted.
“What I wear to court shouldn’t be front-page news,” she wrote. “It’s just absurd.”
Out on $40,000 bail, the “Mean Girls” actress said she’s just ready to move on and get her career back on track. “I just want to be on set again,” said Lohan, who hasn’t appeared on screen since a brief cameo in last year’s “Machete.”
Lohan’s lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, told CNN that despite pleading not guilty, her client is willing to cut a plea deal as long as it doesn’t involve any jail time.
“Ms. Lohan maintains her innocence, and now that I’ve seen the police reports, I believe the case is entirely defensible,” Holley said of the police account of the January 22 incident. “Having said that, we will entertain a discussion concerning a plea if it means no jail so that she can move forward with her recovery and her career.”
TMZ reported on Friday that according to the police report, the store’s owner did not want to get the police involved in the case. The owner “stated that she does not want to press charges,” the report read. “She stated that she only wants her necklace returned.” Though the owner was reluctant, the district attorney reportedly decided that there was enough evidence to warrant a prosecution.
The next hearing in the case is on February 23.