A.J. McLean Promises Rehab Won’t Affect NKOTBSB Tour

'None of this will affect our current tour plans,' Backstreet Boy says of hitting the road in June.

After confirming on Thursday (January 13) that he was entering rehab, reportedly for substance abuse issues, Backstreet Boy A.J. McLean assured fans that his treatment will not affect the band’s upcoming summer tour with the New Kids on the Block.

McLean said in a statement, “For personal reasons, I’ve checked myself into a rehab clinic. With 2011 being a busy year for Backstreet, I want to be healthy and perform and sing for people at my very best and happiest. None of this will affect our current tour plans and I look forward to seeing everyone really soon!” He added, “Thank you for all of your support and respecting my family and friends privacy during this time.”

NKOTBSB are set to hit the road beginning June 2 for a show at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. And the tour, as of now, is slated to run through July 30 in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

McLean first hinted about his health issues this past Sunday in a few tweets. “Thank u all for my bday wishes and tweets:)! Its gonna be a great year! I love u all and wish me luck! I start my sober journey tomm! Ttfn!” he wrote on his Twitter page. A day later, he added, “Hey all wish me luck! This is gonna be an amazing year for me and all around me! I love u all and appreciate all the love and support”

TMZ reported that sources close to the pop star say he has been “out of control” lately.
According to those sources, McLean was under the influence during much of the Backstreet Boys’ cruise last month. He entered rehab, his third time in a decade, reportedly because his issues were affecting the planning stages of the NKOTBSB tour.