When promoters abruptly canceled this Saturday's [artist id="1803648"]M.I.A.[/artist]-headlined Hard L.A. concert in Los Angeles State Historic Park on Monday, they cited "security concerns." But now the Los Angeles Times is reporting that security was not a factor in the decision to pull the plug, but rather new rules and costs indirectly stemming from the death of a 15-year-old girl at a rave held at the L.A. Coliseum last month.
"I don't want anyone to think that this cancellation had anything to do with the events that occurred at Electric Daisy Carnival, because it didn't," Hard Events promoter Gary Richards told the Times' Pop &Hiss blog, referring to last month's rather disastrous rave that left one dead and more than 100 hospitalized.
But in the wake of those events, he said, city officials forced producers to add "a lot of extra stipulations and requirements" that "resulted in unforeseen costs to the event," ultimately leading to Hard L.A.'s cancellation. (At press time, a spokesperson for Hard Events had not returned MTV News' request for clarification on what those new requirements and costs were.)
The promoters plan to go ahead with an August 7 concert in the same park, and some of the canceled show's scheduled artists will play then, Richards said.
"We've been working with the city for months, and all our security plans were approved," Richards said. "We just thought it would be better to put both events together. This didn't have anything to do with security issues."
Following Electric Daisy, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors voted to establish a task force to "enhance rave safety," the Times reported. The Board of Supervisor's motion defines a rave as "musical events [that] tend to be held over ... long periods of time — sometimes days — in large venues on both public and private property. Richards told Pop & Hiss that he doesn't consider his events to be raves.
He declined to comment on whether slow ticket sales influenced his decision to pull the plug on Hard L.A. The Times reported last week that the concert was rumored to be suffering from slow advance-ticket sales for the 25,000-capacity event in the 36-acre park.