Kid Cudi Held At Gunpoint By L.A. Police

Rapper was leaving a magazine photo shoot when LAPD reportedly responded to call about looting.

[artist id="1230523"]Kanye West[/artist] protégé [artist id="3066140"]Kid Cudi[/artist] was stopped by the Los Angeles Police Department on Monday in a case of mistaken identity during a magazine photo shoot, according to an online report.

The "Day N' Nite" star was being snapped for a spread in an upcoming issue of British magazine New Music Express. According to the magazine's site, after the shoot ended, Cudi and his entourage piled into two SUVs and a Jeep, but before they got very far two police cars closed the road ahead of the crew. Police then ordered everyone out of the car and forced the passengers to the ground on their knees, reportedly responding to a call from a neighbor in the area saying that a group of men were looting.

Writer Emily Mackay was one of those on the scene, and according to her blog post about the incident, she, Cudi and others were handcuffed. She said that there were "10 or so armed police officers with an alarming amount of weaponry pointed in our direction as a helicopter circles overhead."

The rapper was released moments later, and the officer in charge claimed it was a case of mistaken identity. Cudi appeared "jovial" after the incident, Mackay said.

"Who knows, really, the story changed a bunch," Cudi later told about the ordeal. "I'm just happy to be back. I'm a free man! For that moment I was not free. I was in handcuffs. It did not feel very comfortable."

A representative for the LAPD had no comment when contacted by MTV News. Representatives for Cudi were not available as of press time. The rapper's manager, Plain Pat, tweeted about the incident, assuring fans that Cudi was not arrested.

Cudi was in Los Angeles to perform a few shows. Last week the rapper ended his stint as Lady Gaga's opening act, reportedly due to scheduling conflicts, but it is thought that his recent scuffle with a fan in Vancouver may have had something to do with it. The fan decided not to press charges against the rapper.