The fallout from Lambertgate continues. Two weeks after Adam Lambert set tongues wagging with his hyper-sexualized American Music Awards performance, the singer has reportedly lost out on two more bookings on ABC, which also aired the AMAs.
[artist id="3188063"]Lambert[/artist] confirmed via Twitter on Wednesday that he has been unbooked from a December 17 performance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" — which had reportedly been confirmed before the AMAs — as well as the annual "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest."
"Yes, sadly friends, ABC has canceled my appearances on Kimmel and NYE. :( Don't blame them. It's the FCC heat," Lambert tweeted.
"We decided not to move forward with the booking at this time," an ABC spokesperson told MTV News of the "Kimmel" cancellation. A representative for Dick Clark Productions could not be reached for comment at press time, but according to the Los Angeles Times, a source at the company said there had been no finalized plans for Lambert to appear on "Rockin' Eve."
ABC had already uninvited Lambert from "Good Morning America" in the wake of the AMAs, drawing fire from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). The Lambert routine also drove the Disney-owned network to announce that it was tightening its standards on live performances.
While Lambert has said he doesn't feel the need to apologize for his AMA performance — which included an open-mouth kiss with a male keyboard player, simulated oral sex from a male dancer and the sight of the "American Idol" runner-up walking two male dancers around on leashes — Lambert did tell Ellen DeGeneres on her show on Monday that perhaps he pushed the envelope a bit too far.
"It was maybe a little too far," he said. "I think in hindsight, I look back on it and I go, 'OK, maybe that wasn't the best first impression to make, the first second impression.' "
While Lambert's tweet made mention of possible coming heat from the Federal Communications Commission, the Times noted that the AMA performance came after 10 p.m. (at 10:55 p.m., to be precise), a time period during which the FCC does not monitor network programming.
"The FCC has determined, with the approval of the courts, that there is a reasonable risk that children will be in the audience from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time," reads an excerpt of guidelines on the FCC site. "Therefore, the FCC prohibits station licensees from broadcasting indecent material during that period. Material is indecent if, in context, it depicts or describes sexual or excretory organs or activities in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium. ... The 'safe harbor' refers to the time period between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., local time. During this time period, a station may air indecent and/or profane material."