Although it was rumored that LaToya Jackson and Paula Abdul were possible contenders for the upcoming season of “Dancing With the Stars,” neither will actually be vying for the title of dancing king or queen when the new season begins on September 21 on ABC.
Singers [artist id="500157"]Mya[/artist], [artist id="509001"]Macy Gray[/artist] Aaron Carter and Donny Osmond and MTV reality star [artist id="1230249"]Kelly Osbourne[/artist], however, are scheduled to compete on the show. Former Republican Congressman Tom DeLay, “Sabrina, the Teenage Witch” star Melissa Joan Hart, actress Debi Mazar, George Hamilton’s son Ashley Hamilton, model Joanna Krupa, model/actress Kathy Ireland, mixed-martial-artist Chuck Liddell, professional snowboarder Louie Vito, Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin and former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin will also be battling for the mirror-ball trophy.
The announcement was made on “Good Morning America” Monday (August 17) by the show’s host Tom Bergeron, who announced that the show will work a little differently for its ninth season.
“In the middle of our season, over three weeks, we’re going to have double eliminations,” Bergeron said. “We’ll lose about half of our cast within that period. It will be a ballroom bloodbath.”
Last week, the show’s executive producer, Conrad Green, talked about the rumors of Abdul joining the cast, saying that it was a “possibility.” “She has never been trained in ballroom and Latin,” he told ETonline. “So that is a possibility as well. It is for Paula to work out. At the moment, the world is her oyster. Everyone wants her. At our show, we are great fans of Paula.”