On Monday night, fans will get to see
Britney Spears perform on the Teen Choice Awards stage. Britney’s TV performances are always memorable, so we decided to take a look back at what we think are her 10 greatest TV performances, many of which took place at MTV’s Video Music Awards, where she is again a nominee this year.
10. We rarely see Britney slow it down, but at the 2000 Grammy Awards she sang her ballad “From the Bottom of My Broken Heart,” but gave us some vintage Brit when she busted out “… Baby One More Time.”
9. Britney stopped Times Square when she performed on MTV’s “TRL” in 2003. Donning a fedora and signature half-shirt, she sang her hit “Me Against the Music.”
8. Britney brought her Circus to “Good Morning America” in late 2008, and she was the ringmaster of that performance when she, flanked by flames and dancers, sang “Womanizer” and “Circus.”
7. Britney took to the stage with Michael Jackson at the late singer’s 2001 30th anniversary concert and did a rousing performance of his 1987 song, “The Way You Make Me Feel.”
6. Thousands of people were introduced to Britney when she took the stage at the 1999 VMAs, alongside ’NSYNC, in a school setting for “… Baby One More Time.”
5. In 2001, Britney took over Sin City for her TV special “Live in Las Vegas” and somehow she made Vegas even naughtier than usual.
4. Jaws dropped all over the world when an apparently — but not really — nude Britney took the stage in a flesh-colored outfit at the 2000 VMAs.
3. Britney Spears, ’NSYNC and Aerosmith rocked the halftime show at the Super Bowl in 2001. Did we mention they covered “Walk this Way”?
2. A snake and a girl with a dream took the stage at the 2001 VMAs for “I’m a Slave 4 U.” Whatever you say, Britney!
1. No surprise that this is #1: It was the passing of the pop torch when Britney kissed Madonna at the 2003 VMAs. It’s a scene that never gets old!
The 2009 MTV Video Music Awards will take place September 13 at 9 p.m. ET. Nominees, celebrity presenters and additional performers will be announced in the coming weeks. To be the first to find out the inside scoop, follow the Inside MTV Twitter account at Twitter.com/InsideMTV.