Swine Flu Didn't Affect 'Real World: Cancun,' Producer Says

'We had stopped production before this thing reared its ugly head,' Jim Johnston tells MTV News.

Despite the rumors that "The Real World: Cancun" shut down production because of the swine-flu epidemic in Mexico, Executive Producer Jim Johnston assures MTV News that the show had already wrapped when news began to spread about the illness.

"We had stopped production before this thing reared its ugly head," Johnston said, adding that the cast and most of the crew are already home. "Everyone's alert and aware, and if anyone gets sick, we'll take care of it. It really didn't affect us at all. We're being watchful."

Johnston, who returned from Mexico on Sunday, added that while he was in Cancun, he didn't see anyone worrying too much about the disease. "We've been staying at the ME hotel — that's where the crew stayed and that's the suite where the roommates had their house," he said. "That's a pretty nice place. I really didn't want to leave, and I would have happily stayed."

Johnston said there is still some crew in Cancun finishing up certain aspects of the show. "We even sent some people down there this week to finish up wrapping. It's business as usual. We've given them instructions," he said about the precautions being taken. "They're wearing face masks when they distribute meals."

A statement from Bunim/Murray Productions, which produces "The Real World," addresses the rumors, which had popped up on PerezHilton.com and Radar Online.

"The production of 'The Real World: Cancun' was not affected in any way by the current swine-flu outbreak. We wrapped production as regularly scheduled and, to our knowledge, no returning roommates or crew members are showing signs of sickness. There is still crew in Mexico wrapping out, most of them local hires in Cancun, and the show has taken full precautions to instruct the roommates and crew on preventive measures and proper care if anyone were to fall ill."