People magazine published a report Friday (March 13) denying that [artist id="1940303"]Rihanna[/artist] and
[artist id="1961441"]Chris Brown[/artist] recorded a duet together last month. Just Thursday, CNN reported that producer Polow Da Don had overseen the pair’s recording sessions after Brown was charged with two felonies in the alleged altercation.
“The reports are inaccurate,” Polow’s publicist, Laura Wright, told UsMagazine.com on Friday, calling the CNN report misinformed. “The duet was recorded long before the incident.”
“Contrary to published reports, Chris Brown and Rihanna did not record a duet after the incident,” echoed the People report, quoting a “label source” with knowledge of the recording.
The confusion seems to be the result of a demo recorded by Brown and Rihanna in 2008, which Polow Da Don spoke with MTV News about after it leaked onto the Internet in January. According to the People source, their “reference vocals” were meant to instruct the eventual singers on how to do the song. The track, titled “Bad Girl,” was intended to be on the soundtrack for the recent film “Confessions of a Shopaholic” and was eventually recorded by the [artist id="1841713"]Pussycat Dolls[/artist].
“Nothing has been recorded by Chris and Rihanna together since February,” insisted the People source.
Although various outlets have feverishly reported on Brown/Rihanna reconciliations and breakups daily, only this much is clear: The L.A. district attorney filed two felony counts against Brown last week, following a February 8 incident in which police said he assaulted Rihanna. Brown is expected to be back in court on April 6 for his formal arraignment and faces nearly five years in prison if convicted.