"Misleading and inaccurate." That's how [artist id="1098"]Madonna[/artist]'s camp has labeled the previously released statement about her divorce settlement from ex-husband Guy Ritchie.
To recap, early on Monday, Madonna's longtime spokesperson, Liz Rosenberg, told The Associated Press that the singer and her filmmaker ex had reached a financial agreement on their divorce, which would grant Ritchie somewhere between $76 million and $92 million.
But on Wednesday morning (December 17), Madonna and Ritchie released a statement recanting the previous report. "We have tried to maintain a dignified silence regarding the details of our divorce for the last few months whilst accepting the obvious media interest," read a joint statement from the pair, according to Reuters.
"A misleading and inaccurate statement, specifically in relation to the sums of money involved, was wrongly issued to AP this week," it said. "The financial details of the settlement will remain private, save to say that both of us are happy with our agreement. Our primary concern, like any co-parents, is the care and well being of our children."
Rosenberg, who did not return calls for comment on Wednesday, had said on Monday that she assumed "it's one of the largest payouts ever in a divorce settlement." She also said that custody arrangements for the couple's children had not yet been finalized. The couple have an 8-year-old biological son, Rocco, and a 3-year-old adopted son from Malawi, David Banda.
After eight years of marriage, the couple announced their separation earlier this year and finalized their divorce last month with a quick proceeding in London's High Court. Details of the proceedings were not announced, and neither showed up for the court date. The couple's joint fortune is estimated to be more than $525 million.