William Balfour, Suspect In Jennifer Hudson Family Killings, To Remain In Custody

Department of Corrections official says suspect's girlfriend claimed she'd seen Balfour with gun matching murder weapon.

After a preliminary hearing on Monday (November 10), William Balfour, the only suspect named so far in the triple homicide of Jennifer Hudson's mother, brother and nephew, will remain in prison at least through December 3, when a full hearing will be held to determine if he violated his parole.

A hearing officer for the Illinois Prisoner Review Board heard evidence on Monday from Department of Corrections investigator Derek Harris that Balfour — the estranged husband of Jennifer Hudson's sister Julia — had not complied with the terms of his parole from a prior conviction. Harris told the board that Balfour had not attended any of his anger-management classes, had not attended any of his substance-abuse counseling sessions, had not been available for visits with his parole officer, and had been seen in places where drugs were sold or distributed, resulting in a June arrest for cocaine possession.

Perhaps more importantly, Harris said he had been in discussion with the Cook County State Attorney's office, who had informed him that Balfour's girlfriend Shonta Cathey had claimed she had seen Balfour with a gun the day before the murders that allegedly was an identical match to the gun found by authorities. An unnamed source reportedly told the Chicago Tribune recently that Balfour had told Cathey he was involved in the shootings.

Balfour looked concerned during the hearing but remained composed, Prisoner Review Board Chairman Jorge Montes told MTV News. "He contested and objected to all of the allegations," Montes said. "He said he visited his parole officer, and had negotiated to meet with him at different locations. He said he was never told when to start his anger-management or substance-abuse sessions. He denies ever having a gun."

Balfour did not have a lawyer present, although he was advised that he could, Montes said.

Balfour was out on parole from the Illinois River Correctional Center on attempted-murder, carjacking and stolen-property charges, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections. He was sentenced to serve seven years in 1999. Balfour was paroled in 2006, but if he is found at the December 3 hearing to have violated his parole, he will have to serve out the remainder of his term, until May 2009. Until that hearing, Balfour will remain at the reception center at Stateville Correctional Center.