Since the mid-1990s, Kevin Lyman's Warped Tour and Sharon Osbourne's Ozzfest have both managed to coexist amiably within a cutthroat summer touring market rife with competition. While [article id="1554491"]Warped[/article] — which turns 14 this summer — has long catered to the needs of the punk and emo faithful, [article id="1560552"]Ozzfest[/article] — now entering its 12th year of existence — has been there to keep the nation's hardcore metal fans in check.
But that's all about to change. In addition to this summer's Warped Tour, Lyman is also launching a metal festival in direct competition with Ozzfest. Rumors have already been spreading that this summer's Ozzfest will be heading out on a smaller run than in past years, following last summer's free, corporate-sponsored version.
Anchored by headliners Slipknot and Disturbed, both of whom plan on releasing new material this spring, Lyman's inaugural Rockstar Energy Mayhem festival will be the first serious competition Ozzfest has faced since its inception. On Thursday morning (January 31), Lyman confirmed the tour's lineup to MTV News.
The tour will also feature Mastodon and DragonForce on the main stage, and Sevendust, Airborne, Five Finger Death Punch, 36 Crazyfists, Machine Head, Black Tide, Suicide Silence, the Red Chord and Walls of Jericho on two separate side stages. Many of the bands comprising the energy-drink-supported festival's bill have appeared in prior Ozzfests.
"This summer, we are truly bringing mayhem," Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor said in a press release. "Slipknot is excited to be a part of it, and to be able to bring the new chapter of our history to the masses. We are already working, building and designing a new show. We cannot wait. We cannot lose. Get ready for Mayhem."
Disturbed's David Draiman said his band is looking forward to being on the tour's first bill. "It's a great lineup, which should set a new standard for rock tours, and we're excited to be a part of it," he said.
The tour will get under way July 9 in Seattle and runs through August 21 in Holmdel, New Jersey.
Dates for the Rockstar Energy Mayhem festival, according to Kevin Lyman (subject to change):
· 7/9 - Seattle, WA @ White River Amphitheatre
· 7/11 - Sacramento, CA @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre
· 7/12 - San Francisco, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre
· 7/13 - Irvine, CA @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
· 7/15 - Fresno, CA @ Selland Arena
· 7/16 - San Diego, CA @ Coors Amphitheatre
· 7/18 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Wireless Pavilion
· 7/19 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion
· 7/20 - Denver, CO @ Coors Amphitheatre
· 7/22 - Kansas City, MO @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
· 7/23 - St. Louis, MO @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
· 7/25 - Dallas, TX @ Smirnoff Music Centre
· 7/26 - San Antonio, TX @ Verizon Wireless Ampitheater
· 7/27 - Houston, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
· 7/29 - Tampa, FL @ Ford Amphitheatre
· 7/30 - Miami, FL @ Sound Advice Amphitheater
· 8/1 - Atlanta, GA @ HiFi Buys Amphitheatre Amphitheatre
· 8/2 - Indianapolis, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center
· 8/3 - Buffalo, NY @ Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
· 8/5 - TBA
· 8/6 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre
· 8/8 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre
· 8/9 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Post-Gazette Pavilion
· 8/10 - Chicago, IL @ First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
· 8/12 - TBA
· 8/13 - Boston, MA @ Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts
· 8/15 - Camden, NJ @ Tweeter Center at the Waterfront
· 8/16 - Washington, DC @ Nissan Pavilion
· 8/17 - Hartford, CT @ New England Dodge Music Center
· 8/20 - Saratoga, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center
· 8/21 - Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center
Planning on going to Rockstar Mayhem or any other big music fests this year? Be sure to join the You R Here community, where you can upload your concert photos, videos and reviews. Go there now to check out coverage of last year's Warped Tour.