Former Death Row recording artist and noted collaborator Nate Dogg is paralyzed on the left side of his body after suffering a mild stroke over the holidays, according to his manager. As MTV News previously reported, Dogg (real name: Nathaniel Hale) is currently in an occupational rehab facility.
The prognosis for a full recovery, however, is good, Nate’s rep, Rod McGrew, told MTV News on Thursday night; the singer did not suffer any brain damage nor has his voice been affected, he said.
“Time will tell everything, obviously. The doctor can only guess what the outcome will be,” McGrew said. “But based on situations with similar people his age, and based on his health, the prognosis is good right now.”
McGrew explained the singer has “neural-muscular issues that have to be jump-started.” Those issues extend to his sense of touch and the ability to walk correctly, McGrew said.
Initially, there were conflicting reports surrounding the status of Nate Dogg’s health. There was word he’d had a heart attack, before it was correctly noted he suffered from a stroke instead. Also, conflicting reports arose regarding his release from the hospital and whether or not the singer was recovering at his home.
The media interest continued earlier this week when TMZ released an audio clip that McGrew confirmed was Nate Dogg’s girlfriend phoning 911 after the singer collapsed.
The reaction to clip — bloggers joked about the caller’s monotonous tone during such a crisis — drew McGrew’s ire. He said he was dismayed over the interest in such a thing and intends to pursue legal action, although he did not specify what his plans are.
“I’m not sure what people are trying to glean from that tape,” he said. “The diagnosis is what it is, and the prognosis is what it is: He had a stroke. The media wants to create something, but I’m not sure what the point is. If you had an emergency and someone was in your presence, they would call 911.
“I’m not in a situation to see who is doing what, but rather tending to [Nate] and making sure he gets back on track,” he added.
McGrew requested his client be given as much privacy as possible so his recovery can continue. He has made progress so far, McGrew said, and noted that the singer welcomes all the support he’s received since word of his stroke surfaced.
“On behalf of Nate, he would like to thank all of the well wishers, both friends and fans,” McGrew said. “He appreciates it deeply, and he plans on fully recuperating and getting back in the studio.”