Girl Talk Show Ends When Cops Taser Naked Student In St. Louis

Man reportedly resisted arrest, removed clothing before police delivered the shock.

We're going to assume that Washington University's Gargoyle Club in St. Louis didn't have a "No Moshing" sign with a footnote warning that doing so naked would be punishable by Taser.

But that was the case during Friday night's sold-out Girl Talk show, when a student resisted security's attempts to eject him from the club for being disruptive, according to a police report on the incident. The 22-year-old man, whose name has not been released by authorities, was escorted outside and told to leave, after which he allegedly shoved a security guard and pulled down his own pants and underwear. That's when the cops were called in to deal with the ruckus outside the basement venue, which is booked and run by students.

When cops arrived at around 10:45 p.m., they repeatedly told the man, who the report said appeared intoxicated, to pull up his pants or face arrest. He refused, and when an officer tried to handcuff him, he struggled, prompting the police to threaten him with the Taser if he didn't calm down.

The man continued to resist, according to what one witness told St. Louis' Riverfront Times. "He was Tasered in the a-- for a prolonged period of time," the female witness said. "It was terrible." He was arrested and taken to the hospital — standard procedure following a Tasering — before being booked at the St. Louis County Jail. Police are recommending he be charged with sexual misconduct and resisting or interfering with arrest.

Several people claiming to be eyewitnesses to the incident have posted comments on the Times Web site. "I saw this happen," wrote one commenter. "The guy was definitely high or something, and he had been pushing and threatening people all night. There was one point when several concertgoers chanted to get him out. The bouncers were trying to get him to leave (physically pushing him through the door) when he dropped his pants."

After the incident, the lights in the venue were brought up and concertgoers were instructed to leave, with no explanation. Some shouted, "Don't Tase me, bro!" to police officers standing near the exits, in reference to a University of Florida student who was Tased at a John Kerry speech in September, according to the Times.

Gregg Gillis, the man behind Girl Talk, said he had no idea what was going on either. "It was kinda toward the end of the show, and I didn't see anything," Gillis said Monday (November 12) when asked to re-create the scene. "Every show I do is crazy, and this one was no different. There was a little bit of pushing, and there's always one guy who is drunker than anyone else, but there was no one I noticed who appeared to be more out of control than anything else I've seen. I just wish someone would have told me, so I could have made sense of why I had to bring the show to a close."

Gillis said that about 15 minutes before he was going to wrap things up, the student promoters told him he needed to stop playing immediately. He took that as a five-minute warning and tried to talk to the promoters, but at no point did anyone inform him about the Tasering. "If someone would have said, 'There's a guy out there being Tasered by police, and they need you to stop this,' I would have felt obliged to wrap it up," Gillis said. A spokesperson for the venue referred all calls to the school's administration.

Once it was clear he was going to have the plug yanked, a sweaty Gillis grabbed the mic after the lights went up and yelled, "What the f---, St. Louis? That was a really uncool way to end the show. How late can I play till?" Gillis wrote about the incident on his MySpace page the next day, thanking some campus frat boys for helping him salvage the fiasco. "I haven't played a free afterparty in a year," he later told MTV News. "I asked the audience if there was anywhere we could take the show, and some frat dudes [members of Sigma Alpha Mu] proposed their basement, so we rounded everyone up, and the show moved directly to their basement.

"That [free] show was [better] attended than the real show," Gillis said. "The basement was packed, and there were 200 or 300 people all over the house. There was no shoving, and everyone was having a good time. It was like a classic college scene: No one standing still, people making out with their girlfriends, people shotgunning beers and crowd-surfing, all with the lights on the whole time. I hope someone has video of that show."

Steve Givens, Washington University's associate vice chancellor for public affairs, would not give any more details about the man who was arrested but said he will have to go in front of a judicial administrator and could face sanctions ranging from a warning to possible expulsion.