Well, it turns out there's no Britney/Kevin sex tape after all — at least, according to the man accused of making it. Kevin Federline issued a statement via his lawyer, Mark Kaplan, on Tuesday (November 21) denying the existence of any possible explicit recording of him and his soon-to-be ex-wife to "put this issue to rest once and for all."
Speculation over the existence of the alleged tape began once word got out that the couple had recorded a few racy moments for their "Britney & Kevin: Chaotic" reality-TV series. But the rumors didn't heat up until Us Weekly claimed in its October 17, 2005, "Hot Stuff" column that the couple viewed the footage, supposedly shot by a member of their entourage, with their lawyers.
Britney Spears responded to the Us story by filing a $10 million defamation lawsuit, which was dismissed earlier this month. In her declaration to the court, Spears wrote, "My husband and I have not filmed ourselves having sex. Therefore, we obviously did not bring any 'sex tape' to our lawyers' offices for any reason, nor were we concerned that someone from our 'entourage' was threatening to release a tape since no 'X-rated' tape exists. The entire story is a complete fabrication. ... In fact, the first time that I heard about the alleged 'sex tape' is when I first heard about the article."
Spears called the report "damaging" to her career and reputation, especially with her younger audience, and pointed out that she had "repeatedly rejected substantial monetary offers to pose in photographs or appear in feature films with my breasts exposed."
The suit was dismissed by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge on the grounds that Spears can't be defamed by rumors of any such alleged sex tape since she had "put her modern sexuality squarely, and profitably, before the public eye." The ruling, however, did not address whether or not the story was true, and gossip only increased in the wake of the couple's divorce plans (see "Kevin Responds To Britney's Divorce Filing: He's Going To Fight). Two rumors emerged, actually — one that had Federline shopping the alleged tape as leverage to get more money from the divorce proceedings, and another suggesting Spears herself would leak it on the Internet to prevent him from cashing in.
Britain's News of the World offered Federline $50 million for the real thing, if the real thing did exist. But David Hans Schmidt, who is known for brokering celeb sex-tape deals, estimated that any such video would actually be worth $200 million. Schmidt furthermore told Star magazine that he had been approached by an individual claiming to possess a digital tape of the couple shot before they wed in September 2004. And snippets of a look-alike tape — which may have fueled the rumors' flames — appeared on porn Web sites Fleshbot and PornoTube.
But Tuesday Federline said he is definitely not shopping, selling or leaking any tape, calling the rumors "false and inaccurate," via the statement.
"There is not a sex tape in existence," the statement reads. "It goes without saying that the stories of Kevin attempting to sell such a video are patently false and anyone who reports that they have information of such attempts is either lying or reporting the lie of someone else.
"It would be impossible to comment upon and correct all of the other misinformation about Kevin that appears on a daily basis and consequently no attempt has been made, or will be made, to do so," it continues.
Reps for Spears and Federline had no comment.