Ozzy Osbourne has Ozzfest, Korn, the Family Values Tour. Megadeth rocks Gigantour, and Slayer’s got the Unholy Alliance Tour.
For Disturbed, who spent this summer co-headlining Ozzfest with System of a Down in Osbourne’s intermittent absence, there’s the Music as a Weapon Tour. This year, David Draiman and the boys will be bringing back the tour — its last run was in 2003 — and bringing Stone Sour, Flyleaf and Nonpoint along for the ride.
The third installment of Music as a Weapon is set to kick off November 15 in Providence, Rhode Island, with 23 total dates scheduled through December 22 in Madison, Wisconsin. The tour will be Disturbed’s first U.S. run since Ozzfest wrapped August 13 in West Palm Beach, Florida (see “Avenged Win Over Crowd, System Snore, Ozzy Returns To Form At Ozzfest Launch” and “Disturbed, Four-Time Ozzfest Veterans, Scared To Be ’Old Ones’ On Tour” ). Stone Sour and Flyleaf are fresh from this year’s Family Values, which concluded September 22 in Virginia Beach, Virginia (see “Korn Resurrect Family Values Tour With Deftones, Stone Sour” ).
“It’s our major headlining run,” Draiman told MTV News. “We bring out all the bells and whistles — it’s our stadium run. The bill is really strong, and we’re looking into pyrotechnics this time around, as well as different stage setups, different versions of songs, solos, extended sets. It’s going to be the big rock show that people expect from us. You have to keep raising the bar each respective year. It gets more and more difficult to do that, but it’s definitely going to be one big, crazy rock show this year.”
Draiman said the band will encourage more crowd interaction on this fall’s Music as a Weapon, and plan to stage even more dramatic moments during the trek.
“We’ve become the type of band you can count on to pull off live versions of the songs that sound close enough to what you hear on the record,” he explained. “But after awhile, it kind of gets monotonous, playing the same versions over and over again — especially the hits you have to play every show. So, making it a little bit different, giving people a little something they didn’t expect and keeping the show fresh is very important.”
After Ozzfest, but before the band jetted to Europe for a string of pre-Weapon dates that wrap October 10 in London, Draiman had surgery to repair a deviated septum that made breathing difficult for him, causing the band to miss several gigs. The operation, which corrected the damage three broken noses rendered over the last few years, was successfully completed on August 15.
The band heads into Music as a Weapon riding on the success of its latest single, a cover of Genesis’ “Land of Confusion” (see “Todd McFarlane To Make Genesis’ ’Confusion’ Clip Even More Disturbed” ). Disturbed’s third studio LP, Ten Thousand Fists, has sold more than 1.2 million copies and remained in Billboard’s top 200 since its #1 debut a little more than a year ago.
Disturbed’s Music as a Weapon Tour dates, according to the band’s publicist:
- 11/15 – Providence, RI @ Dunkin Donuts Civic Center
- 11/17 – Portland, ME @ Cumberland County Civic Center
- 11/18 – Hartford, CT @ New England Dodge Music Center
- 11/19 – Amherst, MA @ Mullins Center
- 11/21 – Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena
- 11/24 – Battle Creek, MI @ Kellogg Arena
- 11/25 – Dayton, OH @ Hara Arena
- 11/28 – Nashville, TN @ Gaylord Entertainment Center
- 11/29 – Duluth, GA @ The Arena at Gwinnett Center
- 12/1 – Fort Myers, FL @ City of Palms Park
- 12/2 – Orlando, FL @ TD Waterhouse Centre
- 12/3 – Biloxi, MS @ Mississippi Coast Coliseum
- 12/5 – Hollywood, FL @ Seminole Hard Rock Live
- 12/6 – Jacksonville, FL @ Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
- 12/9 – Grand Prairie, TX @ Nokia Theatre
- 12/10 – Oklahoma City, OK @ The Ford Center
- 12/12 – Lincoln, NE @ Pershing Auditorium
- 12/15 – Indianapolis, IN @ Pepsi Coliseum
- 12/16 – Detroit, MI @ Cobo Arena
- 12/18 – Peoria, IL @ Civic Center Arena
- 12/19 – Green Bay, WI @ Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena
- 12/21 – Cedar Rapids, IA @ U.S. Cellular Center
- 12/22 – Madison, WI @ Alliant Energy Center