Just Did It: Justin Timberlake is serving up a few treats with his FutureSex/LoveSounds — fans who preordered from iTunes just got the digital version of "SexyBack," a short making-of-the-song video, plus the bonus cut "Boutique in Heaven" and a digital booklet. Beyond that, the only extra cut that seems to be floating around is "Pose," which appears on the U.K. edition. As for the proper 12-track LP, it boasts production by Timbaland, Will.I.Am, Rick Rubin and Timberlake himself, plus it features "(Another Song) All Over Again," "Until the End of Time" and two interludes: "LoveStoned/ I Think She Knows" and "What Goes Around ... Comes Around."
Not Just So So: Daz Dillinger drops his first disc on Jermaine Dupri's So So Def label this week, and he's calling it So So Gangsta. What a way to get on the boss' good side. But he's been cozying up with some other guys as well: Rick Ross, who appears on the first single, "On the Real"; Snoop, who pipes up on "DPG Fo' Life" with Supafly; Ice Cube, who cools off "Strizap"; Kurupt, who dirties up "Money on My Mind"; Jagged Edge, who help Daz prove he's "The One"; and Dupri songwriting cohort Johnta Austin, who helps savor the "Weekend." With additional production by Dupri and Scott Storch, expect Daz to, uh, dazzle.
TV Time: TV on the Radio might be making a Return to Cookie Mountain with their latest effort, but they're not returning to indie label Touch and Go — this LP is the band's first for Interscope. Still, the Brooklyn, New York, wizards are keeping it real by offering a free poster with purchase of the LP at a litany of indie record stores that they call out on their Web site. The U.S. version has three extra tunes that aren't being offered overseas: "Snakes and Martyrs," "Things You Can Do" and a remix of "Hours" by hip hip-hopper El-P.
Mission From Mars: With 2003's De-Loused in the Comatorium and last year's Frances the Mute saga, Mars Volta have spent their five-year career intent on challenging fans and frustrating nonbelievers. But while they again host Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante on Amputechture, and add ample amounts of horn and sound manipulation, this is their first LP that isn't a linear narrative. Which could make songs like "Tetragrammaton" and "Meccamputechture" either more or less coherent.
All in la Familia: Now that Tego Calderón's had his go at summer reggaetón sales, it's time for N.O.R.E. to step up and see if he can score higher than Tego's #43 Billboard albums chart debut. Diddy, Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Don Omar and, incidentally, Daddy Yankee all take a seat at the table on N.O.R.E. y la Familia's Ya Tú Sabe, which marks the first release by the so-called "Nuyorican" artist. La prueba para permanecer la calma.
May Day: Now that the Jessica Simpson rumors are subsiding, John Mayer fans can concentrate on Continuum, his fourth studio LP and the first one he's produced (albeit with some help from John Mayer Trio drummer Steve Jordan). Mayer burns through a cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Bold as Love" and chalks up new renditions of "Vultures" and "Gravity," both reworked by the JMT.
Which Did You Hear First?: It's a You Hear It First face-off this week, with mtvU faves Plain White T's decompressing from their Warped Tour jaunt with Every Second Counts. In the meantime, more-recent YHIF selections Tally Hall are hoping to ride off the love they got from "The O.C." and "The Real World" with their Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum. PWT's' third record drops just weeks before their Nintendo Fusion tour with Hawthorne Heights, but Tally Hall have four-part harmonies and taste-making SoCal radio station KCRW. Who's calling heads?
In the Garden of Good and Evil: Don't let Heavens' name fool you — the project is actually fronted by Alkaline Trio's Matt Skiba, a proud member of Anton LaVey's Church of Satan. F-Minus' Josiah Steinbrick is the other half of the duo, and their bleak Patent Pending is coated with songs of murder and obsession. Conversely, Ozzfest stalwarts Norma Jean are a Christian band, despite what you might think from songs like "The End of All Things Will Be Televised," "Cemetery Like a Stage" and "No Passenger: No Parasite," all of which appear on their Redeemer LP.
Beyond Heavens, also stirring up trouble this week is Jihad Jerry, a.k.a. Gerald V. Casale, one of the co-founders of Devo. On his politically divisive Mine Is Not a Holy War, he's backed by the Evildoers, which include the other Devo guys, plus A Perfect Circle drummer Josh Freese and Goo Goo Dolls keyboardist Dave Shultz. And of course, there's the usual crop of brutal troublemakers — we're looking at you, Mastodon (Blood Mountain), Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society's Shot to Hell), Hella (Acoustics EP), Hatesphere (The Sickness Within), Manticora (Black Circus [Part One]), Meliah Rage (The Deep and Dreamless Sleep), Xasthur (Subliminal Genocide) and ex-New Kid on the Block Jordan Knight (Love Songs).
Friends in Need: One could say Lionel Richie has proven himself a mildly successful artist over the years, but in case there's any doubt surrounding his newest opus, he's tapped Jermaine Dupri, Raphael Saadiq, Dallas Austin and other big-time producers to ensure big sales. Make sure you don't get his Coming Home confused with New Found Glory's, which drops next week.
Veruca Salt is another name you probably haven't heard in awhile, but for their first album in six years, they've hopped onto inimitable underground label Sympathy for the Record Industry and called on Radio Vago's Nicole Fiorentino and Failure's Kelli Scott to become their new bassist and drummer, respectively.
Mark Hoppus, Tim Armstrong, Nick Hexum, John Feldmann and Brett Gurewitz are also doing their part this week, giving a boost to the Matches. All five big guns help produce the Bay Area band's second Epitaph offering, Decomposer.
Blue Note/ Metro is issuing two new sets by Brazilian artist Marisa Monte — Infinito Particular and Universo Ao Meu Redor — and they feature guest work by David Byrne, Philip Glass and other high-ranking stars.
Twenty-one-year-old Matt Duke probably didn't expect Marshall Crenshaw, in addition to Dylan and Wings collaborators, to be helping him put together his Winter Child. But that's exactly what the vets did for his disc, which is being released through Drexel University's student-run Mad Dragon label.
And in case "Grey's Anatomy" is in need of even more lucrative success, the TV show's second soundtrack might do the trick. It features Snow Patrol, KT Tunstall, Gomez, Metric and others.
On a lesser note: Ex-Arcade Fire drummer Howard Bilerman engineered Angela Desveaux's Wandering Eyes, which also features Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s Mike Moya; and underground fave RJD2 hops onboard Pigeon John ... and the Summertime Pool Party.
Song Titles of the Week:
Tie between "Welcome to the Jungle Baby, You're Gunna Live!" from Hella's Acoustics EP and "I'm Wolverine and You're a Walrus and I'm Kicking Your Ass" from Miss Violetta Beauregarde's Odi Profanum Vulgus Et Arceo.
Yo La Tengo's I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass: Sadly, YLT didn't come up with this album title themselves — it's actually a threat NBA Phoenix Suns forward/center Kurt Thomas made to New York Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury. In that vein, the pre-eminent New York indie-rockers developed a bonus "season pass" Web site for fans who preordered. If you've got the coupon code and instructions, a player streaming the entire album, a digital booklet, exclusive MP3s and advance notice on ticket sales are at your fingertips.
Xiu Xiu's The Air Force: "Your acne is like a pearl." Chances are the only place you'll be able to hear that phrase spoken is on the newest LP by the San Jose, California, post-punks, who fit right in alongside fellow noisemakers Deerhoof and Erase Errata. Produced by Deerhoof's Greg Saunier and touted as the band's "most accessible" outing — which is kinda like calling the Saturday New York Times crossword "easier" than the Sunday one — it features "The Pineapple vs. the Watermelon," "Saint Pedro Glue Stick" and "The Wigmaster" ("Seinfeld" buffs take note, perhaps).
OOIOO's Taiga: Here's one for all the CD-packaging fiends out there. The fifth effort by the all-female Japanese group — captained by Yoshimi P-We of Boredoms infamy — comes in a deluxe, holographic-foil, embossed digipak. The glorious package is "aimed to enhance the transcendental experience," according to the label. If you're still not sold, check out the track list: "UMA," "KMS," "UJA," "GRS," "ATS," "SAI," "UMO" and "IOA." RAD.
- The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again (Sub Pop)
- Anonymous 4 - Gloryland (Harmonia Mundi)
- Anthropia - The Ereyn Chronicles: Part I - The Journey of Beginnings (Magna Carta)
- Barenaked Ladies - Barenaked Ladies Are Me (Desperation)
Buy Now: Barenaked Ladies Are Me (Desperation)
- Basement Jaxx - Crazy Itch Radio (XL Recordings)
Buy Now: Crazy Itch Radio (XL Recordings)
- Baumer - Come on, Feel It (Eyeball)
- Miss Violetta Beauregarde - Odi Profanum Vulgus Et Arceo (Temporary Residence)
- Bettie Serveert - Bare Stripped Naked (with DVD; Minty Fresh)
- Black Label Society - Shot to Hell (Roadrunner)
Buy Now: Shot to Hell (Roadrunner)
- Black Keys - Magic Potion (Nonesuch)
Buy Now: Magic Potion (Nonesuch)
- Black Neon - Arts & Crafts (Memphis Industries)
- Blowfly - Blowfly's Punk Rock Party (Alternative Tentacles)
- Brazilian Girls - Talk to la Bomb (Verve Forecast)
- Jonatha Brooke - Live in New York (with DVD; Bad Dog)
- Carbon Leaf - Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat (Vanguard)
- Catfish Haven - Tell Me (Secretly Canadian)
- Kasey Chambers - Carnival (Warner Bros.)
Buy Now: Carnival (Warner Bros.)
- Citizen Cope - Every Waking Moment (Arista)
Buy Now: Every Waking Moment (Arista)
- Ornette Coleman - Sound Grammar (Sound Grammar)
- Shawn Colvin - These Four Walls (Nonesuch)
Buy Now: These Four Walls (Sound Grammar)
- Joyce Cooling - Revolving Door (Narada)
- Corbett vs. Dempsy Gallery - Eye & Ear: Artist <-> Musician (Atavistic)
- Robert Cray Band - Live From Across the Pond (two CDs; Vanguard)
Buy Now: Live From Across the Pond (Vanguard)
- Dark Globe - Nostalgia for the Future (Global Underground)
- Simon Dawes - Carnivore (Record Collection)
- Daz Dillinger - So So Gangsta (enhanced; Virgin)
Buy Now: So So Gangsta (Virgin)
- Angela Desveaux - Wandering Eyes (Thrill Jockey)
- Dr. Dog - Takers and Leavers (EP; Park the Van)
- The Draft - In a Million Pieces (Epitaph)
- Matt Duke - Winter Child (Mad Dragon)
- Envy - Insomniac Doze (Temporary Residence)
- Everclear - Welcome to the Drama Club (Eleven Seven)
Read: "Everclear Kick Off Drama With Controversial 'Hater' Jesus Video"
Buy Now: Welcome to the Drama Club (Eleven Seven)
- Favourite Sons - Down Beside Your Beauty (Vice)
- Flattbush - Seize the Time! (Koolarrow)
- Peter Frampton - Fingerprints (New Door)
Buy Now: Fingerprints (New Door)
- Geisha Girls - Vanishing Act (Number 3)
- Dave Glasser - Above the Clouds (Arbors)
- Governor - Son of Pain (Atlantic)
- Great Lakes - Diamond Times (Empyrean)
- Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids (special-edition slipcase also available; Inside Out)
- Hatesphere - The Sickness Within (Steamhammer)
- Heavens - Patent Pending (Epitaph)
- Hella - Acoustics (EP; 5 Rue Christine)
- Hostility - Uncompromised (RNB)
- Ima Robot - Monument to the Masses (Virgin)
Buy Now: Monument to the Masses (Virgin)
- Indian Jewelry - Invasive Exotics (Monitor)
- Jihad Jerry & the Evildoers - Mine Is Not a Holy War (Cordless)
- Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye (Domino)
- Jordan Knight - Love Songs (Trans-Con)
Buy Now: Love Songs (Trans-Con)
- Kottak - Therupy (Escapi)
- L.A. Guns - Loud and Dangerous (Shrapnel)
Buy Now: Loud and Dangerous (Shrapnel)
- Los Abandoned - Mix Tape (Vapor/ Sanctuary)
- Los Lobos - The Town and the City (Hollywood)
Buy Now: The Town and the City (Hollywood)
- Low Lows - Fire on the Bright Sky (Warm)
- Magnolia Electric Co. - Fading Trails (Secretly Canadian)
- Mannheim Steamroller - Halloween 2 Music (two CDs and one DVD; American Gramaphone)
- Roger Joseph Manning Jr. - The Land of Pure Imagination (digipak; Cordless)
- Manticora - Black Circus (Part One) (Locomotive)
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture (GSL/ Universal)
Read: "Mars Volta's Amputechture Inspired By Immigrant Marches, Possessed Nuns"
Buy Now: Amputechture (GSL/ Universal)
- Branford Marsalis - Braggtown (Marsalis)
- Charlotte Martin - Stromata (Dinosaur Fight)
- Mastodon - Blood Mountain (Reprise; limited-edition version with DVD also available)
Read: "Mastodon LP Tackles Auto-Cannibalism, One-Eyed Sasquatch"
Buy Now: Blood Mountain (Reprise)
- Matches - Decomposer (Epitaph)
- Eric Matthews - Foundation Sounds (Empyrean)
- John Mayer - Continuum (Columbia)
Buy Now: Continuum (Columbia)
- Sandra McCracken - Gravity/ Love (Townhee)
- Meliah Rage - The Deep and Dreamless Sleep (Screaming Ferret)
- Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau - Metheny/ Mehldau (Nonesuch)
Buy Now: Metheny/ Mehldau (Nonesuch)
- Marisa Monte - Infinito Particular (enhanced) and Universo Ao Meu Redor (Blue Note/ Metro)
- The Mooney Suzuki - The Maximum Black EP (V2)
Buy Now: The Maximum Black EP (V2)
- Jason Moran - Artist in Residence (Blue Note)
- Mouse on Mars - Varcharz (digipak; Ipecac)
Buy Now: Varcharz (Ipecac)
- N.O.R.E. y la Familia - Ya Tú Sabe (Roc-A-Fella)
- Norma Jean - Redeemer (Tooth & Nail)
Buy Now: Redeemer (Tooth & Nail)
- Now It's Overhead - Dark Light Daybreak (Saddle Creek)
- Tara Jane O'Neil - In Circles (Quarterstick)
- OOIOO - Taiga (digipak; Thrill Jockey)
- Page France - Hello Dear Wind (Suicide Squeeze)
- Papa Roach - The Paramour Sessions (Geffen)
Buy Now: The Paramour Sessions (Geffen)
- Madeleine Peyroux - Half the Perfect World (Rounder)
Buy Now: Half the Perfect World (Rounder)
- Pigeon John - Pigeon John ... and the Summertime Pool Party (Quannum)
- Plain White T's - Every Second Counts (Hollywood)
Read: "Plain White T's Find Getting Personal Pays Off, Literally"
Buy Now: Every Second Counts (Hollywood)
- Psychostick - We Couldn't Think of a Title (Rock Ridge)
- Purrs - The Purrs (digipak; Sarathan)
- Radio Citizen - Berlin Serengeti (Ubiquitous)
- The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love (Universal Motown)
Buy Now: Pieces of the People We Love (Universal Motown)
- Dan Reeder - Sweetheart (Oh Boy)
- Lionel Richie - Coming Home (Island)
Buy Now: Coming Home (Island)
- Randy Rogers Band - Just a Matter of Time (Mercury Nashville)
Buy Now: Just a Matter of Time (Mercury Nashville)
- Bob Seger - Face the Promise (Capitol)
Buy Now: Face the Promise (Capitol)
- Louise Setara - Still Waters (Manhattan)
- Mitchy Slick - Urban Survival Syndrome (Angeles/ Tha WrongKind)
- Slumber Party - Musik (Kill Rock Stars)
- So Many Dynamos - Flashlights (Skrocki)
- Subhumans (Canada) - New Dark Age Parade (Alternative Tentacles)
- Sugarcult - Lights Out (V2)
Buy Now: Lights Out (V2)
- Swollen Members - Black Magic (Battle Axe)
- Tall Firs - Tall Firs (digipak; Ecstatic Peace)
- Tally Hall - Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum (Quack!Media)
Read: "Tally Hall Want To Be First Hologram-Rocking, Geek-Chic Band In Colored Ties"
Buy Now: Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum (Quack!Media)
- Tankard - The Beauty and the Beer (Locomotive)
- Ten Tenors - Here's to the Heroes (Rhino)
- This Providence - This Providence (Fueled by Ramen)
- Sandi Thom - Smile ... It Confuses People (RCA)
- Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds (Jive)
Read: "Justin's Album Shows Off Two Sides: Over-The-Top Saucy, Unassumingly Sweet"
Buy Now: FutureSex/LoveSounds (RCA)
- TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (Interscope)
Buy Now: Return to Cookie Mountain (Interscope)
- Two Ton Boa - Paraciticide (Kill Rock Stars)
- Veruca Salt - IV (Sympathy for the Record Industry)
Buy Now: IV (Sympathy for the Record Industry)
- Vincent Van Go Go - Do U Know? (digipak; Quango)
- Viva Voce - Get Yr Blood Sucked Out (Barsuk)
- Bradley Walker - Highway of Dreams (Rounder)
- Wednesday 13 - Fang Bang (Rykodisc)
- Wired All Wrong - Break Out the Battle Tapes (Nitrus)
- Woven Hand - Mosaic (Sounds Familyre)
- Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (Hydra Head)
- Xiu Xiu - The Air Force (5 Rue Christine)
- Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (Matador)
Buy Now: I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (Matador)
- Young Widows - Settle Down City (Jade Tree)
- Various artists - Bedtime Beats - The Secret to Sleep (Smash Arts/ Rhino)
- Various artists - "Grey's Anatomy: Volume 2" soundtrack (Hollywood)
- Various artists - "Gridiron Gang" soundtrack (Varèse Sarabande)
- Various artists - "SpongeBob SquarePants: The Best Day Ever" (enhanced; Nick)
- Various artists - "Wassup Rockers" soundtrack (Record Collection)
Notable Reissues and Archival Material:
- Yolanda Adams - The Essential Yolanda Adams (two CDs; Verity/ Legacy)
- America - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- Asia - Definitive Collection (Hip-O)
- Bluetones - A Rough Outline: The Singles & B-Sides 95-03 (three CDs; Fontana)
- Big Bill Broonzy - Amsterdam Live Concerts 1953 (two-CD box set; Munich)
- The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Best of Brubeck (1979-2004)
- Dead Moon - Echoes of the Past (Sub Pop)
- Eric Dolphy Quintet - Outward Bound (Prestige)
- Dr. John - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- Charles Earland - Black Talk! (Prestige)
- Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record, Face the Music and On the Third Day (Epic/ Legacy)
- Everly Brothers - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- Marianne Faithfull - Faithfull: A Collection of Her Best Recordings (Fontana)
- Peter Frampton - Fingerprints (New Door)
- Gallio/ Voerkel/ Frey - Tiegel (Atavistic)
- Steve Goodman - Live at the Earl of Old Town (Oh Boy)
- Merle Haggard - Hag: The Best of Merle Haggard (Capitol Nashville/ EMI)
- Tommy James & the Shondells - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- Steve Lacy Quintet - Esteem: Live in Paris 1975 (Atavistic)
- Lonestar - 16 Biggest Hits (slipcase; BNA)
- Dean Martin - Christmas With Dino (Capitol)
- John Phillips - John the Wolfking of L.A. (Varèse Sarabande)
- R.E.M. - And I Feel Fine: The Best of the I.R.S. Years 1982-1987 (collector's edition with bonus CD also available; Capitol/ I.R.S.)
Buy Now: And I Feel Fine: The Best of the I.R.S. Years 1982-1987 (Capitol/ I.R.S.)
- Lou Rawls - Merry Christmas, Baby (Capitol)
- Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man: The Johnny Rivers Anthology (1964-2006) (two CDs; Shout! Factory)
- Sonny & Cher - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope (with DVD; Virgin)
Buy Now: Eye to the Telescope (Virgin)
- Unkle - Self Defence (four-CD box set; Global Underground)
- Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons - Definitive Pop (Rhino)
- Various artists - American Music: The HighTone Records Story (box set with four CDs and one DVD; HighTone)
- Various artists - Blind Pig Records: 20th Anniversary Collection (two CDs and DVD; Blind Pig)
- Various artists - The Sex, The City, The Music: Barcelona, Berlin, Istanbul, Las Vegas, Moscow, Paris, New York, Shanghai and Tokyo (10 separately sold CDs; Petrol/EMI)
- Mariah Carey - "Mariah Carey" and "MTV Unplugged + 3" (Columbia)
- Marvin Gaye - "Live in Belgium 1981" (Motown)
- The Police - "Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out" (Hip-O)
- R.E.M. - "When the Light Is Mine: The Best of the I.R.S. Years 1982-1987 - Video Collection" (Capitol/I.R.S.)
- Santana - "Viva Santana" (Columbia)
- Barbra Streisand - "One Voice" (Rhino)
- James Taylor - "Squibnocket" (Columbia)
- Temptations - "Get Ready: Definitive Performances 1965 to 1972" (Motown)
- Various artists - "Bang Your Head Festival 2005" (two DVDs; Locomotive)
- Chingy - Hoodstar (Capitol)
Read: "Chingy Out To Prove Himself As A Hoodstar With Jermaine Dupri, Tyrese"
Preorder: Hoodstar (Capitol)
- Fergie - The Dutchess (Interscope)
Read: "Fergie's Split-Pea Soup: Reggae, Jazz, Ludacris, B Real On 'Crazy' Solo LP"
Preorder: The Dutchess (Interscope)
- Jesse McCartney - Right Where You Want Me (Hollywood)
Read: "In September, Get Jesse McCartney Right Where You Want Him"
Preorder: Right Where You Want Me (Hollywood)
- New Found Glory - Coming Home (Geffen)
Read: "New Found Glory Unveil Track List; New LP Is 'Different From Everything Out There' "
Preorder: Coming Home (Geffen)
- Janet Jackson - 20 Y.O. (Virgin)
Read: "Jermaine Dupri Promises Mariah, Janet Duet On New Album"
Preorder: 20 Y.O. (Virgin)
- Ludacris - Release Therapy (Def Jam)
Read: "Therapy Session: Ludacris Previews New LP, Shows Off Home Studio"
Preorder: Release Therapy (Def Jam)
- Mewithoutyou - Brother Sister (Tooth & Nail)
Read: "Mewithoutyou Confront Rock's Limitations: 'You Can't Give People Hugs In A CD' "
Preorder: Brother Sister (Tooth & Nail)
- Beck - The Information (Geffen)
Read: "Beck Giving Fans Sticky Fingers With Quasi-Hip-Hop Album"
Preorder: The Information (Geffen)
- Evanescence - The Open Door (Wind-Up)
Read: "Amy Lee Says New Evanescence LP Has More Sensuality"
Preorder: The Open Door (Wind-Up)
- Killers - Sam's Town (Island)
Read: "Killers Album Preview: Massive Sound, Epic Ballads, Big Ideas Fill Sam's Town"
Preorder: Sam's Town (Interscope)