Fall Out Boy have already tackled such hot-button issues as girl-on-boy (with antlers) love and prom-night existentialism in their music videos, so when it came time to decide on a treatment for their next clip, they chose to simplify things. Sort of.
“We’re about to do a video for ‘A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More “Touch Me,” ‘ and it’s going to be an ‘event’ video. It’s a total departure from our ‘Dance, Dance’ clip,” FOB bassist Pete Wentz told MTV News. “The song title references Molly Ringwald and Samantha Fox’s  album Touch Me, and the song itself is kind of about that. It’s a make-out song, so the video’s going to be the same thing. But really cinematic too.”
OK then. Fall Out Boy actually started shooting the “Sixteen Candles” video Monday, taking over the back lot at Hollywood’s Paramount Studios for three days. And though Wentz swears the clip will be nothing like their “TRL”-topping “Dance, Dance,” it won’t be totally dissimilar. After all, FOB are working with the same director.
“Alan Ferguson will be directing this one, too, but it will be different,” Wentz said. “It’s a little bit darker than the things we’ve done before, but it’s also like a throwback to stuff we grew up with. We always want to go with videos that are exciting for everybody. It’s going to be something that you wouldn’t see on TV anymore.”
Wentz was mum on specific details on the new video, but he was more than willing to discuss another FOB issue: the band’s much-anticipated new album, which, if you believe everything you read, is pretty much written already (see “Fall Out Boy Nearly Done Writing ‘Way Different’ Next LP” ) and will likely be produced by R&B impresario Babyface (see “Fall Out Boy Want Babyface To Produce Their Next Album” ).
“Yeah, that’s pretty much all true,” Wentz said. “We have, like, 15 songs done right now. But if we played them for people it would be uninteresting. I think it would be cool to play one song [in concert] and just give people a little bit of a taste.
“Babyface came to our show in L.A., which was pretty awesome for us,” he continued (see “Fall Out Boy Finally Become Rock Stars, Thanks To The Ghost Of Big-Hairs Past” ). “We want to work with him. We’re figuring out what his availability is gonna be, but hopefully he’ll be on it.”
The new single and upcoming album aren’t the only pieces of release-related news on the Fall Out Boy beat: On Monday, Island Records announced plans to reissue FOB’s double-platinum From Under the Cork Tree on March 14 as a special deluxe edition, just in time for the band’s headlining Black Clouds and Underdogs Tour (see “Fall Out Boy Start Divulging New Tour Dates — The Real Ones, That Is” ).
From Under the Cork Tree: Limited Black Clouds and Underdogs Tour Edition features three non-album cuts (“Snitches and Talkers Get Stitches and Walkers,” “The Music or the Misery” and “My Heart Is the Worst Kind of Weapon”), plus remixes of “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” (by FOB frontman Patrick Stump) and “Dance, Dance” (by Lindbergh Palace, who previously reworked the Killers’ “Mr. Brightside”). The reissue also sports a new cover.