Sure, Mix a Lot: If you're getting all your Britney news from her Web site, you're probably in the dark about her undercover B in the Mix, the Remixes disc, which has 11 tracks retouched by Junkie XL, Justice and other mixmasters. But oddly enough, indie rock has the most club-ready action this week. Death From Above 1979's Black Sabbath-sounding Romance Bloody Romance is also doctored by Justice, plus Josh Homme, whose Queens of the Stone Age have a CD+DVD concert compendium out this week (Over the Years and Through the Woods). Also, Interpol take matters into their own hands with a four-track EP, although it also came with Antics: The Special Edition. (A snazzy vinyl version of Interpol Remix is due December 6).
All Systems Go: Bookending a year that included a #1 album (Mezmerize) and a mind-bending tour with the Mars Volta, System of a Down continue their spiral-twisting ways with Hypnotize, the Ashley to Mezmerize's Mary-Kate. The new album's packaging interlocks with that of its predecessor, bringing the artwork of Vartan Malakian — father of guitarist Daron — to full splendor. There's also a DualDisc run with enhanced-stereo tracks and a film by Armenian auteur Gariné Torossian.
Mayer vs. Metal: John Mayer loves playing with the grown-ups, and he's giving you a taste of what it sounds like with Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert, also featuring veteran bassist Pino Palladino (the Who) and drummer Steve Jordan (Bruce Springsteen). At a theoretical festival, though, those smooth sounds would be out-blasted by the likes of Cradle of Filth, Papa Roach and the this summer's Ozzfest lineup — all of whom have live DVDs of their own this week.
Minor Adjustments: Mike Shinoda's Fort Minor project only has one album so far — The Rising Tied — so, to keep things interesting, he's putting out three versions of it. The standard clean pressing has 16 slices; an enhanced-'n'-explicit edition boasts three bonuses ("Be Somebody," "There They Go" and "Hard Way") and a third, limited version houses those extras plus a DVD and alternate artwork. Juelz Santana, in the meantime, is doing his limited What the Game's Been Missing bonus DVD up right with an interview, two making-of clips, a pair of videos (one featuring Young Jeezy) and more.
Southern Comfort: Big Boi answers his own question with Big Boi Presents ... Got Purp? Vol. II, and, in the process, tides fans over in the wake of Outkast's "Idlewild" film and soundtrack postponements. The usual Southern suspects — Cee-Lo, Goodie Mob, Killer Mike and Bubba Sparxxx — aid and abet Big Boi over the course of 23 tracks, including a "Dungeon Family Dedication" and a provocatively titled interlude, "Mayonnaise Mouth." In the meantime, Nelly reps St. Louis with Sweatsuit, which combines the highlights from Sweat and Suit along with three new tracks.
DualDiscs, Coast to Coast: Death Row's looked back on its watershed moments — Dr. Dre's The Chronic, Snoop's Doggystyle and The Very Best of Death Row — and decided they need some sprucing up, digipak-DualDisc style. But rival label Koch isn't backing down from the competition: They're also putting video content on the flipside of one of 2Pac's two All Eyez on Me CDs.
Sweet Relief: Just in time for FEMA's cutbacks, more artists are stepping up to the plate with hurricane benefit releases. And it's no coincidence that most of them spring from what is arguably the city's greatest cultural contribution: jazz. Jazz at the Lincoln Center Presents: Higher Ground - Hurricane Relief Benefit Concert lines up Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Art and Aaron Neville, and the red-hot Dianne Reeves, although the two-CD Hurricane Relief: Come Together Now outdoes that roster with Kanye West, Coldplay, R. Kelly, Dave Matthews Band and tons more. All of Come Together Now's proceeds go toward hurricane relief, as do those from Dr. John's (admittedly more modest) Sippiana Hericane EP. (A "Come Together Now" charity single featuring Game, members of the Backstreet Boys, Ruben Studdard, Jesse McCartney and Wyclef Jean drops next week.) Speaking of being modest, archival releases Essential Louisiana Rhythm and Blues and The Greatest Mardi Gras Concert Ever! are also coming out this week, but only $1 from each copy sold goes to the American Red Cross' Katrina relief fund.
Song Title of the Week:
"30,000,000,000,000,000 People" (Part Chimp's I Am Come)
- Alex Is on Fire/ Moneen - Split EP (Vagrant)
- Bouncing Souls - Bouncing Souls Live (Chunksaah)
- Michael Bublé - Caught in the Act (live; Reprise)
- Chamillionaire - The Sound of Revenge (limited edition with bonus disc also available; Universal)
- Sylvain Chauveau & Ensemble Nocturne - Down to the Bone: An Acoustic Tribute to Depeche Mode (DSA)
- Cruna - A Hustler's Love Story (Warner Bros.)
- Dave's True Story - Simple Twist of Fate - DTS Does Dylan (Bepop)
- Ray Davies - Thanksgiving Day (EP, V2)
- Death From Above 1979 - Romance Bloody Romance (remix album; Vice)
- DJ Morpheus - I Can't Live Without My Radio (Tigersushi)
- Dr. John - Sippiana Hericane (EP, Blue Note)
- Enya - Amarantine (Reprise)
- Fort Minor - The Rising Tied (limited-edition and enhanced versions also available; Warner Bros.)
- Fra Lippo Lippi - Songs (Rune Arkiv Norway)
- Fully Down - Don't Get Lost in a Movement (Fearless)
- Interpol - Interpol Remix (EP, Matador)
- Seu Jorge - The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions (Hollywood)
- Talib Kweli - Right About Now: The Official Sucka Free Mix CD (Koch)
- Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens (Secretly Canadian)
- Lil' Tweety - Confessing a Feeling (enhanced version also available; Thump)
- Samara Lubelski - Spectacular of Passages (The Social Registry)
- John Mayer Trio - Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert
- Reba McEntire - #1's (MCA Nashville)
- The Mendoza Line - Full of Light and Full of Fire (Misra)
- The Never Enders - Air Raid Romance (Indianola)
- Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy Appendix (EP, Jagjaguwar)
- Part Chimp - I Am Come (Monitor)
- Paulson - All at Once (One Day Savior)
- Queens of the Stone Age - Over the Years and Through the Woods (live, with DVD; Interscope)
- Rich Boyz - Young Ballers: The Hood Been Good to Us (Gutter)
- Juelz Santana - What the Game's Been Missing! (Def Jam)
- Ray Scott - My Kind of Music (Warner Bros.)
- Britney Spears - B in the Mix, the Remixes (Jive)
- Rebecca St. James - If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something (Forefront)
- Scott Stapp - The Great Divide (Wind-Up)
- Static - Re: Talking About Memories (City Centre Offices)
- System of a Down - Hypnotize (DualDisc also available; Columbia)
- Tarantella - Tarantella de la Morte (Alternative Tentacles)
- Tristeza - A Colores (Better Looking)
- Warmachine - The Beginning of the End (Nightmare)
- Mike West - A Westside Story, Chapter 1 (Integrated Label Group)
- Various artists - Big Boi Presents ... Got Purp? Vol. II (Virgin)
Read: "Big Boi Busts Out New Label, Divulges Details About Outkast Film"
- Various artists - Jazz at the Lincoln Center Presents: Higher Ground - Hurricane Relief Benefit Concert (Blue Note)
- Various artists - Hurricane Relief: Come Together Now (two CDs; Concord)
- Various artists - Just Like Paradise: A Tribute to Diamond David Lee Roth (Versailles)
- Various artists - Yo Gotti Presents: The Blackout Squad, Volume 2 (Inevitable)
- Various artists - "Four Dead Batteries" soundtrack (Hightone)
- Various artists - "In the Mix" soundtrack (J)
- Various artists - "Memoirs of a Geisha" soundtrack (Sony Classical)
- Various artists - "The Producers" soundtrack (Sony Classical)
- Various artists - "Stargate: Atlantis" soundtrack (Varèse)
Reissues and Archival Material:
- 16 Horsepower - Hoarse and Olden (Alternative Tentacles)
- 2Pac - All Eyez on Me (two CDs, including one DualDisc; Koch)
- Akon - Trouble (with bonus CD; Universal)
- Bee Gees - Love Songs (Polydor/UME)
- Cocteau Twins - Lullabies to Violaine: Singles and Extended Plays (limited-edition box set; 4AD)
- Dr. Dre - The Chronic (enhanced DualDisc; Death Row)
- Billy Joel - My Lives (box set with four CDs and one DVD; Columbia/Legacy)
- Patti LaBelle - Gold (Universal)
- John Lennon - Walls and Bridges and Sometime in New York City/ Live Jam (with bonus tracks; Capitol)
- Nelly - Sweatsuit (Universal)
- The Neville Brothers - Gold (two CDs; Hip-O)
- Nightranger - Hits, Acoustic & Rarities (IRock Entertainment)
- Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (Rykodisc)
- Queen - A Night at the Opera (30th anniversary collector's edition with DVD; Hollywood)
- The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang - Special Edition (with bonus tracks) and Rarities 1971-2003 (Virgin)
- Frank Sinatra - Duets and Duets II - 90th Birthday Limited Collector's Edition (Capitol)
- Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (enhanced DualDisc; Death Row)
- Joss Stone - Mind, Body & Soul - Special Edition (with three new songs and a bonus DVD; S-Curve)
- Speedy West - Guitar Spectacular (Sundazed)
- Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe (with DVD; Geffen)
- Various artists - Drive-Thru Records Greatest Hits (Drive-Thru)
- Various artists - Essential Louisiana Rhythm and Blues (Fuel 2000)
- Various artists - The Greatest Mardi Gras Concert Ever! (Fuel 2000)
- Various artists - The Very Best of Death Row (enhanced DualDisc; Death Row)
- Various artists - "The Muppet Christmas Carol: Special Anniversary Edition" soundtrack (Disney)
- Harry Chapin - "Remember When: The Anthology" (MPI)
- Harry Connick Jr. & Branford Marsalis - "A Duo Occasion" (Universal)
- Fates Warning - "Live in Athens" (SPV)
- Cradle of Filth - "Peace Through Superior Firepower" (Roadrunner)
- Peter Gabriel - "Still Growing Up: Live & Unwrapped" (two DVDs; Rhino)
- Hellogoodbye- "OMG HGB DVD ROTFL" (Drive-Thru)
- The Hives - "Tussles in Brussels" (Island)
Read: "Hives Weren't Rash When Assembling First DVD"
- Jack Johnson - "A Weekend at the Greek/ Live in Japan" (two DVDs; Brushfire)
- Keane - "Strangers" (two DVDs; Interscope)
- Killswitch Engage - "(Set This) World Ablaze" (Roadrunner)
- Lifehouse - "Everything" (Geffen)
- Nailbomb - "Live at Dynamo" (Roadrunner)
- Papa Roach - "Live and Murderous in Chicago" (Geffen)
- Radiohead - "The Astoria London Live" (Capitol)
- Rush - "R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour" (also available as deluxe edition with CD; Rounder)
- Carly Simon - "A Moonight Serenade on the Queen Mary 2" (Columbia)
- Barbra Streisand - "The Television Specials" (five DVDs; Rhino)
- Tanya Tucker - "Live at Billy Bob's Texas" (Image)
- Various artists - "The Best of 'American Idol' Seasons 1-4," "The Worst of 'American Idol' Seasons 1-4" and "The Best & Worst of 'American Idol' Seasons 1-4: Limited Collector's Edition" (RCA)
- Various artists - "Drive Thru and Rushmore Records, Vol. 3" (Drive-Thru)
- Various artists - "Ozzfest 10th Anniversary" (with CD; Clear Channel Entertainment)
- Master P - Living Legend: Certified D-Boy (Gutter)
- Dave Matthews Band - Weekend on the Rocks (two CDs with DVD; RCA)
- Shakira - Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 (Columbia)
- Eminem - Curtain Call: The Hits (Aftermath)
Read: "Slim Shady's Phattest, Brightest Compiled For Eminem Hits LP"
- Korn - See You on the Other Side (Virgin)
Read: "Korn On New LP: 'Sadness,' 'Anger,' 'Darkness' ... 'Kind Of Perverted' "
- Lindsay Lohan - A Little More Personal (Raw) (Casablanca)
Read: "Lindsay Lohan Album Preview: It Really Is More Personal"
- Beck - Guerolito (remix album; Interscope)
Read: "Beastie Boys, Dust Brothers Get Their Hands On Beck's Guero"
- Bo Bice - Real Thing (DualDisc; RCA)
Read: "Bo Bice Working With Ben Moody, Members Of Nickelback, Bon Jovi, Skynyrd For LP"
- Pharrell - In My Mind (Interscope)
Read: "Pharrell Had To Be Sneaky To Record His Solo Album"