Wu's ODB Pleads Guilty; Method Man Case Dismissed

Grammy-nominated rappers answer assault charges with very different results.

Grammy-nominated Wu Tang Clan members Ol' Dirty Bastard and Method Man, each planning to put out solo albums this summer, recently had their day in court with ODB pleading guilty to attempted assault and Method Man winning a dismissal on an assault charge, according to their attorney.

On Monday, Ol' Dirty Bastard, a.k.a. Russell Jones, appeared in

King's County Court in Brooklyn, N.Y., to answer charges brought last year by his estranged wife Icelene "Shaquita" Jones that ODB had beaten her. He pled guilty to a reduced charge of attempted assault and received a conditional

discharge, said ODB and Method Man lawyer Peter Frankel. Under the sentence, the rapper has been ordered to have no contact with Jones.

Jones' additional charge of non-payment of child support was adjourned to May 15, Frankel said. "We're going to try to resolve that," he added. "We're going to try to reach a settlement."

Last year, the attorney told SonicNet Music News that ODB owed Jones less than $35,000 in support.

In other legal news for the Staten Island, N.Y., group, rapper Method Man, a.k.a.

Clifford Smith, had a misdemeanor assault charge against him dismissed after appearing in court on April 2. The charge stemmed from a confrontation last August with a security guard outside Manhattan's Palladium nightclub.

"The charges were dismissed by the district attorney because the People

were unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt," said district attorney

spokeswoman Frederica Jacks on Friday.

Both ODB and Method Man are slated to release their sophomore solo albums

this summer.

The resolution of these cases brings to a close just a few of the many legal

battles that have plagued various members of the Clan over the past

year.

In Tinley Park, Ill., the band (minus ODB and rapper GZA) faces a $2

million lawsuit brought last October by a Loud Records employee who said

the group beat him in a dressing room during an August tour stop.

Meanwhile, Method Man, Wu leader RZA and non-Wu rapper Redman were hit last November by a $5 million lawsuit filed outside Philadelphia by a woman who claims that Method Man injured her after jumping from the stage during a

1995 concert.