Coldplay knew that news of their upcoming North American tour would spread quickly across the Internet — they just had no idea how quickly.
On Monday they launched TalkTheTour.com, a Web site that — in addition to hyping their brand-new single, "Talk" (see [article id="1512273"]"Coldplay Convince Anton Corbijn To Helm 'Talk' Video"[/article]) — also serves as a fan-driven promotion for the second round of North American dates on their Twisted Logic Tour.
Aside from giving fans the chance to win a phone call from frontman Chris Martin (and a host of other prizes), TalkTheTour.com was also intended to be a unique, grass-roots way of announcing shows: For every 33,000 hits the site received, Coldplay would reveal a tour date, which, in theory, meant that the itinerary would unfold over the course of a week or so.
But by Wednesday (November 9), less than 72 hours after the site went live, more than half of the tour's 24 stops had been revealed thanks to the 500,000-plus hits the site had already received.
So in response to ... well ... the overwhelming response, Coldplay's label, Capitol, hastily assembled a press release that not only announced the tour but also took the mish-mash of dates available on TalkTheTour.com and assembled them into one, easy-to-read itinerary (minus, sadly, two rumored "secret" shows). They were also good enough to give it to MTV News first, and even spilled the beans on the opening acts: Fiona Apple on the first half of the dates, and Richard Ashcroft on the second half.
Coldplay tour dates, according to Capitol Records:
- 1/25 - Seattle, WA @ Key Arena
- 1/26 - Vancouver, BC @ GM Place
- 1/30 - Sacramento, CA @ ARCO Arena
- 1/31 - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Arena
- 2/1 - San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
- 2/3 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
- 2/19 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
- 2/20 - Omaha, NE @ Qwest Center
- 2/22 - Auburn Hills, MI @ The Palace of Auburn Hills
- 2/23 - Louisville, KY @ Freedom Hall
- 2/25 - Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
- 2/26 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
- 2/27 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Ford Center
- 3/2 - Washington, DC @ MCI Center
- 3/4 - Orlando, FL @ T.D. Waterhouse Centre
- 3/5 - Tampa, FL @ Ford Pavilion
- 3/20 - Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
- 3/22 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
- 3/25 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Continental Airlines Arena
- 3/26 - Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
- 3/30 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
- 4/3 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena
- 4/4 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena
- 4/6 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center