Fiona Apple is cranking up her touring machine for the first time in five years. The singer will kick off a three-week tour on November 22 with a show in Portland, Oregon, in support of her third album, Extraordinary Machine.
The tour of major cities on the coasts and the Midwest will feature stops in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Cleveland, Boston and New York. The singer, famous for her conflicted take on love and life, isn’t sure how she feels about hitting the road again. “I haven’t even really been playing piano. I guess it just hasn’t even occurred to me that I miss it,” she said in an interview just weeks before the album was released.
She predicted that playing live will be a “totally different experience” this time around, though, hopefully devoid of the kind of nerves that famously plagued her in the past. “This is all like a big science experiment for me just to see how am I going to handle it this time, how am I going to feel,” she said. “I’m noticing a considerable amount of anxiety is not here. Although I’m remembering that a lot of this job revolves around anxiety, performance anxiety, all the time. I’m so nervous about not delivering and that’s kind of a bitch, you know?”
The album, which was more than three years in the making, became the subject of heated debate among fans who demanded its release after Apple’s label allegedly shelved it. Apple has said that she was the one who decided to can the album she recorded with longtime friend and collaborator Jon Brion in favor of a re-recorded version with Dr. Dre/ Eminem cohort Mike Elizondo. Though she has performed some promotional live dates with Brion and Elizondo, it has not yet been announced who will be in Apple’s touring band.
Fiona Apple tour dates, according to a label spokesperson:
- 11/22 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
- 11/23 – Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
- 11/25 – San Francisco, CA @ SF Weekly Warfield
- 11/26 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern LG
- 11/28 – San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
- 11/30 – Las Vegas, NV @ House of Blues
- 12/2 – Denver, CO @ Paramount Theatre
- 12/4 – Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
- 12/5 – Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
- 12/7 – Boston, MA @ Orpheum Theatre
- 12/8 – Upper Darby, PA @ Tower Theatre
- 12/9 – Upper Darby PA @ Tower Theatre
- 12/11 – New York, NY @ Nokia Theatre Times Square
For more on Fiona Apple’s Extraordinary Machine, check out the feature “Fiona Apple: The People’s Champ”