Michael Jackson Working On Katrina Song — But With Whom?

No artists have yet confirmed participation in the benefit single.

In his first interview since being cleared of child-molestation charges, Michael Jackson said he's hard at work on his Hurricane Katrina benefit song, "From the Bottom of My Heart," and that he's feeling well after several health scares during the trial.

Jackson told The Associated Press during the brief interview that he's "moving full speed ahead" on the single.

But unlike "We Are the World" — the 1985 charity hit co-written by Jackson that quickly drew participation from such heavy hitters as Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Willie Nelson, Billy Joel and Paul Simon — so far, no artists have confirmed participation in the recording of the single to aid victims of the August 29 disaster.

"I'm constantly working on it," Jackson said of the song, which he first announced on September 6. At the time, Jackson said in a statement that he had written the song and intended to contact artists within days and record it within two weeks.

While Babyface's spokesperson confirmed that the singer is down to record with Jackson, representatives for R. Kelly, Jay-Z, Ciara, Wyclef Jean, Mariah Carey and Lauryn Hill said those artists have been contacted but have not yet agreed to participate. Missy Elliott's rep said she and Jackson are in discussions about the song but have not yet reached any agreement. Spokespeople for Lenny Kravitz, James Brown, Yolanda Adams and the O'Jays could not be reached by press time.

Jackson's spokesperson, Raymone Bain — who last week confirmed the participation of Brown, Jay-Z, Blige, Elliott, Kravitz, Kelly, Snoop and Ciara — could not be reached for comment.

Four years ago, Jackson announced plans for a benefit song for the victims of the September 11 terror attacks. "What More Can I Give" featured vocals by Ricky Martin, Mariah Carey, Gloria Estefan and Reba McEntire (see " 'NSYNC Join Jackson's Charity Single; Mariah, Celine Sing In Spanish"). The song was shelved and never officially saw the light of day.

Following his child-molestation trial — which he described as "the hardest thing I've ever done in my life," in his recent AP interview — Jackson and his children left the United States to take up residence in the Middle Eastern country of Bahrain, where the singer is still "resting and recovering." Jackson is there as the guest of Prince Abdullah, the son of the country's king. "From the Bottom of My Heart" is scheduled to be released on Abdullah's 2 Seas Records.

Jackson, who has not appeared in public since being acquitted in June (see "Michael Jackson Not Guilty On All Charges"), said "I'm feeling good," after looking dangerously frail and suffering from various maladies during the trial, including a bad back and the flu.

For full coverage of the Michael Jackson case, see "Michael Jackson Accused."