It’s a match made in prog-metal heaven.
Two of rock and roll’s most manic and adventurous outfits — chart-topping maestros System of a Down and experimental prog-noise champs the Mars Volta — have announced the first batch of dates for their two-month joint North American expedition — and hopefully, the venues will be spacious enough to accommodate both bands’ formidable afros.
So far, only the first 12 dates have been announced, but more are expected to be confirmed soon. A System spokesperson said the jaunt is likely to hit nearly 40 cities, and (like System’s double album, Mezmerize/ Hypnotize) will be split into two legs: a first segment carrying through to Labor Day, followed by a week off, and then the second running into early October.
The trek — System’s first major headlining tour in nearly three years — kicks off with a pair of dates in Long Beach, California, on August 4 and 5 — the first of which has already sold out.
Both bands are currently overseas on festival runs. System of a Down’s Mezmerize debuted at #1 on Billboard‘s albums chart four weeks ago (see “System Of A Down Top Billboard With Mezmerize“ ). The Mars Volta’s second LP, Frances the Mute, hit stores back in March and debuted at #5.
Punk/metal outfit Bad Acid Trip, whose debut album was produced by System guitarist Daron Malakian, will be opening.
System of a Down/ the Mars Volta tour dates, according to System’s publicist:
- 8/4 – Long Beach, CA @ Long Beach Arena
- 8/5 – Long Beach, CA @ Long Beach Arena
- 8/6 – San Diego, CA @ The Sports Arena
- 8/8 – Phoenix, AZ @ America West Arena
- 8/11 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
- 8/12 – San Antonio, TX @ SBC Center
- 8/13 – The Woodlands, TX @ C.W. Mitchell Pavilion
- 8/15 – Pensacola, FL @ Civic Center
- 8/16 – Orlando, FL @ TD Waterhouse Arena
- 8/17 – Sunrise, FL @ Office Depot Center
- 8/29 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
- 8/30 – Quebec City, QC @ Colisee Pepsi
For a full-length feature on System of a Down, see “System of a Down: Doubleheader.”