On the heels of a frenzied 10-city tour, System of a Down will give rabid fans the first taste of their double album with Mezmerize, hitting stores this week.
Packed with System's patented manic, thrashing rock, the 37-minute record (see "System Of A Down Album Preview: Band Pulls No Punches With The Pummeling Mezmerize") is the first half of Mezmerize/Hypnotize, with the latter portion set for release in the fall. The first half comes on the heels of its debut single, the hotly political "B.Y.O.B."
While System make the metalheads scream, American Idol Season 4: The Showstoppers will likely induce squeals and shrieks from equally frenzied pop fans. The 13-track disc features the show's top 12 contestants covering new songs and old classics including Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be" performed by Bo Bice; Jessica Sierra's rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart," originally sung by Bonnie Tyler; and the Broadway hit "My Funny Valentine" as interpreted by Constantine Maroulis.
Jay-Z fans hungry for new material from the "retired" rapper would do well to check out Memphis Bleek's new LP, 534. The track "Dear Summer," produced by Just Blaze, is featured on the MC's follow-up to 2003's M.A.D.E.
Like the hugely successful Now That's What I Call Music! series, the 6-year-old Totally Hits set provides pop fans with a ready-made top 40 mix CD. Featured on Totally Hits 2005 are tracks including "Since U Been Gone" (Kelly Clarkson), "Bring Em Out" (T.I.) and "Shut Up!" (Simple Plan).
Juliette Lewis makes her foray into rock and roll official this week with the release of Juliette & the Licks' You're Speaking My Language, while rock veterans Def Leppard release Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection.
Insane Clown Posse drop The Calm one year after the two-part Hell's Pit, while on a somewhat mellower note, Mercury Rev release their latest album, The Secret Migration, full of symphonic and piano-driven instrumentals. Brian Jonestown Massacre release the double-disc We Are the Radio.
Also out this week are albums by Natalie (Natalie), Idiot Pilot (Strange We Should Meet Here), Junior M.A.F.I.A. (Riot Musik), Toby Keith (Honkytonk University), Van Morrison (Magic Time), Sound of Urchin (The Diamond) and Huey Lewis and the News (Live at 25).
Out Tuesday, May 17:
- Miss Angel - That's the Way I Tumble (Electro-Fi)
- Chris Beard - Live Wire (NorthernBlues)
- Breaking Point - Beautiful Disorder (Wind-Up)
- Brian Jonestown Massacre - We Are the Radio (Tee Pee)
- Clearlake - Wonder if the Snow Will Settle EP (Domino)
- Common Ground - High Voltage (Delmark)
- Elizabeth Cook - This Side of the Moon (Emergent/92E)
- Cowboy Troy - Loco Motive (Warner Bros. Nashville)
- Matt Darey - Upfront Trance (Water Music)
- De Novo Dahl - Cats & Kittens (Theory 8)
- Deathray Davies - The Kick and the Snare (Glurp)
- Disbelief - 66sick (Nuclear Blast America)
- DJ Rap - Bulletproof (System Recordings)
- Eleven Days of Rain - Within (Dark Star)
- Epoxies - Stop the Future (Fat Wreck Chords)
- The Forecast - Late Night Conversations (Victory)
- Frost - Welcome to Frost Angeles (Thump)
- Robbie Fulks - Georgia Hard (Yep Roc)
- Gang of Four - Entertainment! (reissue, Rhino)
- Alexander Hacke - Sanctuary (Koolarrow)
- Jon Hassell - Maarifa Street (City Hall)
- Horace Pinker - Texas One Ten (Thick/Southern)
- Idiot Pilot - Strange We Should Meet Here (Warner Bros.)
- Insane Clown Posse - The Calm (Psychopathic)
- Vijay Iyer - Reimagining (Savoy Jazz)
- Juliette and the Licks - You're Speaking My Language (Fiddler)
Read: "Juliette Lewis Has Something To Say ... With Licks"
- Junior M.A.F.I.A. - Riot Musik (Mega Media)
- Toby Keith - Honkytonk University (DreamWorks Nashville)
Buy Now: Honkytonk University (DreamWorks Nashville)
- Kem - Album II (Motown)
- Huey Lewis and the News - Live at 25 (Rhino)
- Def Leppard - Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection (Mercury)
Buy Now: Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection (Mercury)
- Memphis Bleek - 534 (Def Jam)
Read: " 'Retired' Jay-Z Releasing New Track Via Memphis Bleek LP"
- Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration (V2)
- Van Morrison - Magic Time (Geffen)
- Natalie - Natalie (Motown)
- Nudge - Cached (Kranky)
- Bobby Pinson - Man Like Me (RCA)
- The Red Chord - Clients (Metal Blade)
- Renegade Foxxx - Still Hustlin' (Thump)
- Rippingtons - Wild Card (Concord)
- The Rocket Summer - Hello, Good Friend (The Militia Group)
- Avi Rothbard - Twin Song (MidLantic)
- Billy Joe Shaver - A Tribute to Billy Joe Shaver: Live (Compadre)
- The Sound of Urchin - The Diamond (Hybrid)
- Supermachiner - Rise of the Great Machine (Undecided)
- System of a Down - Mezmerize (Columbia)
Read: "System Of A Down Shoot Fiery 'B.Y.O.B.' Clip, Find Inspiration In Fistfights"
- Finis Tasby - What My Blues Are All About (Electro-Fi)
- Tight Phantomz - Crazy When Wet (Southern)
- Troubled Hubble - Making Beds in a Burning House (Lookout!)
- Ricky Warwick - Love Many, Trust Few (Sanctuary)
- Paul Westerberg - Besterberg: The Best of Paul Westerberg (Rhino)
- Various artists - American Idol Season 4: The Showstoppers (RCA)
Read: " 'Idol' Covers Paying Off For Gavin DeGraw, Los Lonely Boys"
- Various artists - Feuding Banjos: Revenge of the Citybillys (V.I. Music)
- Various artists - Totally Hits 2005 (Rhino)
- Various artists - "Best of the Muppets Featuring the Muppets' Wizard of Oz" (Walt Disney)
Read: "After Reworking 'Wizard Of Oz,' Ashanti Remixing Her Music"
- Various artists - "Darcy's Wild Life" soundtrack (BMG Heritage)
- Various artists - "Hour of the Gun" soundtrack (Varèse Sarabande)
- Various artists - "Live Fast, Die Never: Music From the TV Series 'Angel' " (Rounder)
- Various artists - "The Shield" soundtrack (Lakeshore)
- DVD: The Flaming Lips - "The Fearless Freaks" (Shout! Factory)
- DVD: Peter Gabriel - "Growing Up on Tour: A Family Portrait" (Lakeshore/Riverside)
- DVD: Various artists - "Live From Bonnaroo 2004" (BMG)
- Audioslave - Out of Exile (Interscope)
Read: "Audioslave's Morello Says New LP Feels Less Like Soundgarden + Rage"
- Gorillaz - Demon Days (Virgin)
Read: "Cartoon Gorillaz Put A Muzzle On Danger Mouse, Damon Albarn"
Buy Now: Demon Days (Virgin)
- The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart (Interscope)
- Better Than Ezra - Before the Robots (Artemis)
Buy Now: Before the Robots (Artemis)
- Maxïmo Park - A Certain Trigger (Warp)
- Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth (Epic)
Read: "Noel Gallagher Refuses To Watch New Oasis Video"
- Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business (A&M)
Read: "Black Eyed Peas Team Up Again With Timberlake For New LP"
- Coldplay - X&Y (Capitol)
Read: "Coldplay Album Preview: X&Y A Complex Stadium-Rocker"
Buy Now: X&Y (Capitol)
- White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan (V2)
Read: "White Stripes Album Preview: Confounding Satan Both Loud And Subtle"