Stand back — there's about to be a "Girlfight" and a "Riot" among the artists included in this week's new releases.
R&B singer Brooke Valentine, featured on MTV's "You Hear It First," has been building major buzz around the release of her album Chain Letter, with the help of debut single "Girlfight." Lil Jon and Big Boi have her back on the song, while the late Ol' Dirty Bastard lent a hand to another track, "Blah, Blah, Blah."
Indie-pop up-and-comers the Kaiser Chiefs are ready to do battle with their LP Employment and its single "I Predict a Riot." The debut album from the Leeds, England-bred quintet combines classic Britpop sounds with dance-rock and undeniably catchy hooks.
The singles compilation Now 18 will also put up a strong fight this week. The album includes Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For?," Lindsay Lohan's "Rumors," Destiny's Child's "Soldier," Ashanti's "Only U," Omarion's "O," John Legend's "Used to Love U" and Good Charlotte's "I Just Wanna Live," among others.
Their last studio album was out in 2001, but Sweden's the Soundtrack of Our Lives are back this week with Origin Vol. 1. Trivium represent for metal with their second album, Ascendancy. Australian blues-infused outfit John Butler Trio release their second LP as well, called Sunrise Over Sea, while energetic Parisian dance-music duo Daft Punk put out their fourth album, Human After All.
Also out this week are albums by Keren Ann (Nolita), the Blind Boys of Alabama (Atom Bomb), Dishwalla (Dishwalla), Al Green (Everything's OK) and Long-View (Mercury).
Out Tuesday, March 15:
- Keren Ann - Nolita (Metro Blue/Blue Note)
- Avila Brothers - The Mood: Soundsational (Thump)
- Baby Bash - Super Saucy (Universal Motown)
- Ron E. Beck - Soul Cry (Thump)
- Biirdie - Morning Kills the Dark (Pop Up)
- Blind Boys of Alabama - Atom Bomb (Real World)
- Blood or Whiskey - Cashed Out on Culture (Punkcore)
- David Bowie - David Live (Virgin)
- David Bowie - Stage (Virgin)
- John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea (Atlantic)
Buy Now: Sunrise Over Sea (Atlantic)
- Celtic Fiddle Festival - Play On (Green Linnet)
- Coughs - Fright Makes Right (Load)
- Daft Punk - Human After All (Virgin)
Buy Now: Human After All (Virgin)
- Matt Darey - Point Zero (Varese Sarabande)
- Devin Davis - Lonely People of the World, Unite! (Mousse)
- Dishwalla - Dishwalla (Orphanage)
- Dr. Dog - Easy Beat (National Parking)
- Eagles - Eagles (Rhino)
- Al Green - Everything's OK (Blue Note)
- Mary Haskell - Inspired Standards - Good for the Soul (Insight)
- Holy Shroud - Ghost Repeaters (Level-Plane)
- Hope 7 - Hope 7 (Trauma)
- Kaiser Chiefs - Employment (Universal)
Read: "Kaiser Chiefs 'Predict A Riot,' Music Press Predicts Franz Ferdinand-Like Success"
Buy Now: Employment (Universal)
- Kamelot - The Black Halo (Steamhammer US)
- Konks - The Konks (Bomp)
- Miranda Lambert - Kerosene (Epic Nashville)
- Nguyen Le Quartet - Walking on the Tiger's Tail (HighNote)
- Long-View - Mercury (Columbia)
- Los Lobos - Live at the Fillmore (Hollywood)
- Curtis Mayfield - Mayfield: Remixed — The Curtis Mayfield Collection (Rhino)
- Marian McPartland & Friends - 85 Candles — Live in New York (Concord)
- New Monsoon - Live at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival (SCI Fidelity)
- Gruff Rhys - Yr Atal Genhedlaeth (Sanctuary)
- Joanne Shenandoah - Skywoman (Silver Wave)
- The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Origins, Vol. 1 (Republic Records)
- Steely Dan - Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast (Concord)
- Paul Taylor - Nightlife (Peak/Concord)
- Tierra Santa - Apocalipsis (Locomotive)
- Trivium - Ascendancy (Roadrunner)
- Ultralyd - Chromosome Gun (Load)
- Urban Knights - VI (Narada Jazz)
- Brooke Valentine - Chain Letter (Virgin)
Read: "Don't Mess With 'Girlfight' Singer Brooke Valentine: Lil Jon And Big Boi Have Her Back"
Buy Now: Chain Letter (Virgin)
- Patrick Wolf - Wind in the Wires (Tomlab)
- Various artists - DJ Afrowax Presents: eVolution (VI Music)
- Various artists - Drum Nation 2 (Magna Carta)
- Various artists - "NASCAR in 3D: The IMAX Experience" soundtrack (Shout! Factory)
- Various artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 18 (Epic)
- Various artists - "Robots" soundtrack (Varese Sarabande)
- Various artists - Soldiers of the 213 (Thump)
- Various artists - Subdivisions (Magna Carta)
- DVD: Asleep at the Wheel - "Live at Billy Bob's" (Image)
- DVD: Various artists - "Magic Moments: The Best of '50s Pop" (Shout! Factory)
- Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (Atlantic)
Read: "Franz Ferdinand Give Bloc Party A Leg Up"
Buy Now: Silent Alarm (Atlantic)
- Moby -Hotel (V2/BMG)
Read: "Moby Takes Aim At Nick And Jessica With 'Beautiful'"
Buy Now: Hotel (V2/BMG)
- Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze (Interscope)
Read: "Queens Of The Stone Age Keep LP, Tour Shrouded In Mystery"
Buy Now: Lullabies to Paralyze (Interscope)
- Beck - Guero (Geffen)
Read: "Finished Version Of That Beck LP You Downloaded Due In March"
Buy Now: Guero (Geffen)
- The Bravery - The Bravery (Island)
Read: "The Bravery Bring Today's Technology To Yesterday's Sounds"
Buy Now: The Bravery (Island)
- Will Smith - Lost & Found (Interscope)
Read: "Will Smith Has 'Sumthin' For Eminem' On New LP, Due In March"
Buy Now: Lost & Found (Interscope)
- Faith Evans - First Lady (Capitol)
- Hot Hot Heat - Elevator (Sire)
Read: "Hot Hot Heat's Ups And Downs Inspire Elevator"
- Various artists - Music from the O.C. Mix 4 (Warner Bros.)