With Phantom Planet, the Thrills and the Donnas as their co-pilots, Maroon 5 will hit the road for two months on the fifth annual 2005 Honda Civic Tour.
Maroon 5 will headline the trek, which begins March 11 in Universal City, California.
"This is the first headlining U.S. tour we've done in a long time," bassist Mickey Madden said Thursday at a press conference in West Hollywood, California, announcing the outing. "We're playing some of the biggest places we've ever played, which is very exciting. And we're taking out some bands that we really like and who are good friends. We grew up with Phantom Planet here in L.A. The Donnas add a nice variety. And the Thrills are a band we really like. Our crowds tend to be receptive to who we take out."
As has been the case with Civic Tours in the past, which have featured such bands as Blink-182, Incubus, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, Everclear and Dashboard Confessional, Maroon 5 will be accompanied on the tour by a car they designed. The band has chosen special custom features for the environmentally friendly Honda Civic Hybrid and Honda Civic Coupe, which will be showcased at each venue. Fans will also have the opportunity to win the customized cars.
Emphasizing their commitment to environmental protection, Maroon 5 designed a Web site as part of their participation in the tour, packed with information on how fans can help conserve the planet's natural resources ("Did you know you can run a TV set for three hours with the energy saved from recycling one aluminum can!"). They also provide links to various environmental organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund and the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Tickets go on sale beginning February 5, though fans can log on to the tour's Web site for special pre-sale information.
The trek will delay Maroon 5's follow-up to Songs About Jane, which the band will now record after the outing is wrapped. "We're extremely anxious to get back in the studio," Madden said. "We have a lot of songs written that are unfinished, but it's hard to write on the road" (see "Maroon 5 Dying To Get Back In The Studio To Record More Songs About Girls").
In the meantime, Maroon 5 are looking for an outlet for Kanye West's remix of "This Love."
"It's got a '70s soul, gospel sort of vibe," Madden said. "It's out there to be found now on the Internet. We're not sure how to release it exactly. It's a remix, but it's not a hip-hop remix, so it couldn't have a place on hip-hop radio."
Honda Civic Tour dates, according to the tour's organizers:
- 3/11 - Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
- 3/13 - Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
- 3/18 - Corpus Christi, TX @ Concrete Street Amphitheater
- 3/19 - Grand Prairie, TX @ Nokia Theatre at Grand Prairie
- 3/21 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Center
- 3/22 - Charlotte, NC @ Cricket Arena
- 3/24 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Sound Advice Amphitheater
- 3/25 - Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum
- 3/26 - Kissimmee, FL @ Silver Spurs Arena
- 3/28 - Norfolk, VA @ Constant Convocation Center
- 3/29 - State College, PA @ Bryce Jordan Center
- 3/31 - Morgantown, WV @ WVU Coliseum
- 4/1 - Philadelphia, PA @ Liacouras Center
- 4/2 - Boston, MA @ Agganis Arena at Boston University
- 4/4 - Amherst, MA @ Mullins Center
- 4/6 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
- 4/7 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
- 4/14 - Auburn Hills, MI @ The Palace of Auburn Hills
- 4/15 - Pittsburgh, PA @ AJ Palumbo Center
- 4/16 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post Pavilion
- 4/18 - Cleveland, OH @ Wolstein Center
- 4/19 - Chicago, IL @ UIC Pavilion
- 4/21 - St. Louis, MO @ Savvis Center
- 4/22 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Eagles Ballroom
- 4/23 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
- 4/25 - Lincoln, NE @ Pershing Center
- 4/26 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
- 4/29 - Portland, OR @ Portland Memorial Coliseum
- 4/30 - Seattle, WA @ Everett Event Center
- 5/4 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center at Fresno State
- 5/5 - San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
- 5/6 - Sacramento, CA @ Arco Arena
- 5/8 - Anaheim, CA @ Theater at Arrowhead Pond
- 5/9 - San Diego, CA @ Jenny Craig Pavilion
- 5/11 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Pavilion