Prosecutors In Michael Jackson Case Seek To Use 'Erotic Materials' As Evidence

Items include photographs, magazines, books, videos seized from singer's bedroom.

Prosecutors in the Michael Jackson case have moved to introduce "erotic materials" taken from the pop singer's bedroom as evidence.

Court papers released Monday showed that the prosecution asked for permission to admit items including photographs, magazines, books and videos seized from Jackson's Neverland ranch, saying that those items could reveal that the singer's motives in touching a young boy were sexual.

In documents that were largely blacked out by Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville to keep specific details of the items secret, District Attorney Tom Sneddon said, "The people seek to introduce numerous ... books, videos and magazines seized on November 13, 2003 from the defendant's master bedroom suite at Neverland Valley Ranch, the video arcade and from a room adjoining the defendant's private office in a security building."

Four pages listing the items the prosecution seeks to introduce as evidence were censored, as was a description of the materials.

The prosecutors said the materials they seek to admit as evidence will show that Jackson planned to commit "the charged offenses." They believe that Jackson's ownership of the magazines, books and videos they list will show his intent to commit the alleged crimes, claiming that "prior conduct [demonstrates] a particular state of mind."

Jackson's defense team is expected to oppose this motion in a hearing on Friday, according to Reuters.

Also on Monday, sheriff's investigators made a formal denial that they are responsible for the recent leak of 1,900 pages of grand-jury testimony to the media (see "More Graphic Details Emerge In Jackson Case").

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department posted a note on its site claiming that the released information, including "highly confidential transcripts, investigative reports, and documents about the Michael Jackson case," is covered by Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville's Protective Order.

The accusations that the department is responsible for the leaks are "irresponsible, unfounded and untrue," the site's posting said. The Sheriff's Department said it is investigating to find out who released the documents, which were read in part on ABC News earlier this month.

Attorneys representing a group of media organizations filed another motion to make information on the Jackson trial open to the media, according to The Associated Press. On Monday they asked that the court provide the public with the testimony of child witnesses in the case. The motion is scheduled to be considered on Friday as well.

Jury selection for Jackson's trial starts on January 31. Jackson has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

For full coverage of the Michael Jackson case, see "Michael Jackson Accused."