In the cutthroat world of pop-culture stardom, it's not enough to just be an actress/socialite, which is why Lindsay Lohan is tacking the "pop star" label onto her title.
After contributing two songs to the soundtrack of her movie "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen," Lohan felt it was time to put out an album of her own. Her debut effort is Speak, a purebred pop project imbued with sexual overtones and jaded views of the media, most apparent in her single "Rumors," which focuses on the tabloid attention she has received in the last year.
Ludacris is releasing his new album, The Red Light District. The follow-up to 2003's Chicken-N-Beer finds Luda teaming up with artists including Nas and Doug E. Fresh, and spitting out "Austin Powers" references.
Still, the award for most bizarre reference in this week's batch of new releases goes to Cam'ron, who includes his own version of Cyndi Lauper's girl-pop classic "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" on Purple Haze, titling it simply "Girls." On slightly more hard-edged tracks, Cam'ron collaborates with Diplomats members Jim Jones, JR Writer and Freaky Zeeky, as well as Twista and Jaheim.
Also out this week are albums by Mario (Turning Point) and "American Idol" 2004 runner-up Diana DeGarmo (Blue Skies). The soundtrack to the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" is also hitting stores, featuring tracks by such artists as Rage Against the Machine, Cypress Hill, James Brown and Rick James.
Out Tuesday, December 7:
- Bankie Banx - Amazing Grace (Thump)
- Cam'ron - Purple Haze (Roc-A-Fella/ Def Jam)
Buy Now: Purple Haze (Roc-A-Fella/ Def Jam)
- Eric Clapton - Sessions for Robert J (Duck/ Reprise)
- Diana DeGarmo - Blue Skies (RCA)
- DJ Lady Tribe - Cholo Super Mix (w/bonus DVD) (Thump)
- Hoodoo Gurus - Mach Schau (Evangeline)
- John Lennon - Mind Games (Mobile Fidelity Koch)
- Lindsay Lohan - Speak (Casablanca)
- Ludacris - The Red Light District (Def Jam)
- Mario - Turning Point (J)
- Poco - Last Roundup (Future Edge)
- Bobby Seals - Daddy's Home (Del-Fi/ Keane)
- Yung Wun - The Dirtiest, The Thirstiest (J)
- Sean Callery - Soundtrack to "24" (Varese Sarabande)
- Angelo Badalamenti - Soundtrack to "A Very Long Engagement" (Nonesuch)
- Jeff Beal - Soundtrack to "Carnivale" (Varese Sarabande)
- Jeff Rona - Soundtrack to "Earthsea"(Varese Sarabande)
- Marco Beltrani - Soundtrack to "Flight of the Phoenix" (Varese Sarabande)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" (Interscope)
- Harry Gregson-Williams - Soundtrack to "Shrek 2" (DreamWorks)
- DVD: Eminem - "Eminem AKA" (Xenon)
- DVD: Wyclef Jean - "The All-Star Jam" (Eagle Vision)
- DVD: Rod Stewart - "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" (J)
- DVD: Westlife - "Unbreakable: The Greatest Hits" (RCA)
- DVD: White Stripes - "Under Blackpool Lights" (Third Man/V2)
- Ashanti - Concrete Rose (Def Jam)
- Tupac Shakur - Loyal to the Game (Interscope)
- Xzibit - Weapons of Mass Destruction (Sony)
- Mannie Fresh - Mind of Mannie Fresh (Cash Money)
- John Legend - Get Lifted (Sony)