Jimmy Eat World have seen the future, and it looks atmospheric, textured and moody.
Three years after the release of their breakout album, Bleed American (renamed Jimmy Eat World after September 11), emo rockers Jimmy Eat World are unleashing a new sound onto fans with their fourth album, Futures.
Wyclef Jean is shaking up his signature sound as well, with the release of his Sak Pasé Presents Welcome to Haiti: Creole 101. The album — in which 'Clef raps in both English and Creole, the native language of Haiti — features rhymes layered over Haitian beats.
The major change associated with Michael Jackson's new release isn't so much a change in sound or style as a slight sway in media attention toward a Jackson news item unrelated to his current legal battles. The Ultimate Collection contains four audio CDs with 57 singles, album tracks, rarities and previously unreleased recordings, as well as a live concert DVD of Jackson's October 1992 concert at Bucharest's National Stadium.
Almost a year after his death, Elliott Smith's final album, From a Basement on the Hill, will be released in stores. Smith had nearly completed the album before he died from knife wounds in his Los Angeles apartment on October 21, 2003, so producer Rob Schnapf and onetime girlfriend Joanna Bolme picked up the remaining pieces to complete the release.
Also out this week are albums by the Music (Welcome to the North); Riddlin' Kids (Stop the World); Mix Master Mike (Bangzilla), Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah); Le Tigre (This Island); Killing Joke (For Beginners); the Zutons (Who Killed the Zutons?); and Twisted Sister (Still Hungry).
And what would the impending Christmas season be without William Hung's Hung for the Holidays?
Out Tuesday, October 19:
- 3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish (Roadrunner)
- Jello Biafra with the Melvins - Never Breathe What You Can't See (Alternative Tentacles)
- Bizzy Bone - Alpha & Omega (Bungalo)
- Castanets - Cathedral (Asthmatic Kitty)
- Daydream Nation - Bella Vendetta (Elephant Stone/Parasol)
- Daysend - Severance (Metal Blade)
- Diecast - Tearing Down Your Blue Skies (Century Media)
- Dosh - Pure Trash (Anticon)
- From a Second Story Window - Not One Word Has Been Omitted (Metal Blade)
- The Game - Untold Story (Koch)
- Doug Gillard - Salamander (Pink Frost/Big Takeover)
- Golem - Homesick Songs (Aeronaut)
- Gourds - Blood of the Ram (Eleven Thirty)
- A. Graham and the Moment Band - The Tyrant Is Free (Sonic Unyon)
- Pat Green - Lucky Ones (Universal)
- William Hung - Hung for the Holidays (Koch)
- Isis - Panopticon (Ipecac)
- Michael Jackson - The Ultimate Collection (Sony)
Read: "Michael Jackson's Ultimate Box Set Has Demos, Hits, Live DVD"
- Wyclef Jean - Sak Pasé Presents Welcome to Haiti: Creole 101 (Koch)
- Jimmy Eat World - Futures (Interscope)
Read: "Jimmy Eat World Say If You Don't Like Futures Right Away, Don't Bother"
- Jin - The Rest Is History (Ruff Ryders/Virgin)
- Kid Dakota - The West Is the Future (Chair Kickers')
- Killing Joke - For Beginners (Astralwerks)
- Last Burning Embers - Lessons in Redemption (Pink Frost/Big Takeover)
- Le Tigre - This Island (Universal)
- Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets (Lookout!)
- Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah (Fat Wreck Chords)
- Mix Master Mike - Bangzilla (Scratch)
- Morel - Lucky Strike (Yoshitoshi/Deep Dish)
- Mr. Criminal - What the Streets Created (Thump)
- The Music - Welcome to the North (Priority/Capitol)
- Neville Brothers - Walkin' in the Shadow of Life (Back Porch/EMI)
- No Warning - Suffer, Survive (Machine Shop / Warner Bros)
- Clive Palmer - All Roads Lead to Land (Dicristina)
- Anders Parker - Tell It to the Dust (Baryon)
- Pink Martini - Hang on Little Tomato (Heinz)
- Riddlin' Kids - Stop the World (Aware/Columbia)
Read: "The Riddlin' Kids Might Need A Dose Of The Medication They're Named For"
- Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill (Anti)
Read: "Elliott Smith's Final Album Due In October"
- Rod Stewart - Stardust ... The Great American Songbook Volume III (J)
- Bettye Swann - Bettye Swann (Astralwerks)
- Luke Temple - Luke Temple (EP, Mill Pond/Parasol)
- George Thorogood - 30th Anniversary Tour: Live in Europe (Eagle Vision)
- Three Dog Night - 35th Anniversary Hits Collection (Compendia)
- Twisted Sister - Still Hungry (Eagle Rock)
- Voltress - Victim of Vultures (Cancer)
- Yob - Illusion of Motion (Metal Blade)
- Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons? (Epic)
- Various artists - Enjoy Every Sandwich: The Songs of Warren Zevon (Artemis)
- Various artists - For the Kids Too! (Nettwerk)
- Various artists - Lif Up Yuh Leg an Trample (Honest Jon's/Astralwerks)
- Various artists - "Alfie" soundtrack (Virgin)
- Various artists - "Everwood" soundtrack (Nettwerk)
- DVD: David Bowie - "A Reality Tour" (ISO/Columbia)
- DVD: Willie Nelson & Friends - "Outlaws and Angels" (Eagle Rock)
- Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues/ Lyre of Orpheus (Anti)
- Leonard Cohen - Dear Heather (Sony)
- Donnas - Gold Medal (Atlantic)
Read: "The Donnas Take Charge With Gold Medal"
- Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any (Lava)
Read: "Simple Plan Less Simple On Second Album"
- AFI - AFI (Nitro)
- A Perfect Circle - Emotive (Virgin)
- Duran Duran - The Singles 1986-1995 (Capitol)
- Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 17 (Capitol)
- Britney Spears - Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (Jive)
Read: "Britney Fans, You Can Stop Speculating Now — Official Hits LP Track List Revealed"
- Ruben Studdard - I Need an Angel (J Records)
Read: "Ruben Studdard Decides Christmas Just Isn't Spiritual Enough"
- Vanessa Carlton - Harmonium (A&M Records)
- Shania Twain - Greatest Hits (Mercury Nashville)
- Eminem - Encore (Aftermath)
- Bon Jovi - 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (Island)
- Destiny's Child - Destiny Fulfilled (Sony)
- Lil Jon & East Side Boyz - Crunk Juice (TVT)
Read: "Lil Jon's Crunk Juice Finalized; Usher, Luda, Nas, Snoop, Chris Rock On Board"