This week Sum 41 attempt to immortalize a man who saved their lives. The pop-punk foursome's new album, Chuck, is named for U.N. peacekeeper Chuck Pelletier, who escorted the band out of danger in the Congo.
A merging of the pop sounds of their debut and the harder tones of 2002's Does This Look Infected?, Chuck shows some maturation with the track "We're All to Blame," which was inspired by the band's experience in the Congo.
Mos Def has been making politically and socially charged tracks for years, but it's been five years since he released his last album, Black on Both Sides. New Danger is the rapper's third studio album since he released his debut in 1998.
Duran Duran's last release, 2000's Pop Trash, was hailed by some critics as just that, so four years later, the group hired super-producer Dallas Austin, who said he helped the band get back their beloved '80s sound for Astronaut.
No Doubt are all about giving fans what they want — and some of the stuff they didn't even know they wanted, like B-sides, rarities and remixes. That's what they'll find on Everything in Time, previously only available as part of the band's out-of-print box set, Boom Box.
Also out this week are albums by "Band on the Run" winners Flickerstick (Tarantula); Camper Van Beethoven, who release their first album of original material since 1998; Montreal's the Dears (No Cities Left); L.A. dance-rockers Moving Units (Dangerous Dreams); San Diego quirk-pop experimentalists Pinback (Summer in Abbadon); and indie-pop/ bossa nova outfit A.M. Sixty (Big as the Sky).
Sliding down the record store chimneys as well is the first wave of Christmas albums. Artists who are getting into the holiday spirit early include Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Everything You Want for Christmas), Chris Isaak (Chris Isaak Christmas) and LeAnn Rimes (What a Wonderful World).
Out Tuesday, October 12:
- A.M. Sixty - Big as the Sky (V2)
- American Music Club - Love Songs for Patriots (Merge)
- Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain (Vector)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Everything You Want for Christmas (Vanguard)
- Frank Black - Frank Black Francis (spinART)
Read: "New Pixies LP Unlikely, But Another New Track's On The Way"
- Blood Brothers - Crimes (V2)
- Richard Buckner - Dents and Shells (Merge)
- Busted - Busted (Universal)
- Camper Van Beethoven - New Roman Times (Vanguard)
- Barbara Cue - Rhythm Oil (Sanctuary)
- Dears - No Cities Left (spinART)
- Denver Harbor - Scenic (Universal)
- Celine Dion - Miracle (Epic)
- Duran Duran - Astronaut (Epic)
- Entrance - Wandering Stranger (Fat Possum)
- Flickerstick - Tarantula (Idol)
- From Satellite - When All Is Said and Done (Universal)
- Gold Chains and Sue Cie - When the World Was Our Friend (Kill Rock Stars)
- Holly Golightly - Slowly But Surely (Damaged Goods)
- Amy Grant - Greatest Hits 1986-2004 (A&M Records)
- Hidden Cameras - Mississauga, Goddam (Sanctuary/Rough Trade)
- Mike Holober and the Gotham Jazz Orchestra - Thought Trains (Sons of Sound)
- The Ike Reilly Assassination - Sparkle in the Finish (Rock Ridge)
- Chris Isaak - Chris Isaak Christmas (Reprise)
- Jimmy D. Lane with Double Trouble - It's Time (APO)
- Adam Marsland - You Don't Know Me (Karma Frog)
- Mos Def - The New Danger (Geffen)
- The Mothers Anger - Mothers Anger (Dionysus)
- Moving Units - Dangerous Dreams (RX/Palm)
- Ali Shaheed Muhammad - Shaheedullah and Stereotypes (Penalty/Ryko)
- No Doubt - Everything in Time (Interscope)
Buy Now: Everything in Time (Interscope)
- Pain of Salvation - Be (Inside Out U.S.)
- Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (Relapse)
- Pinback - Summer in Abbadon (Touch and Go)
- Point of Grace - I Choose You (Touch and Go)
- Recover - This May Be the Year I Disappear (Universal)
- LeAnn Rimes - What a Wonderful World (Curb)
- Joe Sample - Soul Shadows (Verve)
- Dr. Lonnie Smith - Too Damn Hot (Palmetto)
- Jim Snidero - Close Up (Milestone)
- Straylight Run - Straylight Run (Victory)
- Sum 41 - Chuck (Island)
Read: "Sum 41 Name Album After The Man Who Saved Their Lives"
Buy Now: Chuck (Island)
- The Sun - Did Your Mother Tell You (Warner Bros.)
- Chris Thile - Deceiver (Sugar Hill)
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Lost Christmas Eve (Lava)
- Vanessa Williams - Silver & Gold (Lava/Atlantic)
- Trent Willmon - Trent Willmon (Columbia)
- George Winston - Montana: A Love Story (Windham Hill/RCA Victor)
- Wrangler Brutes - Zulu (Kill Rock Stars)
- Yohimbe Brothers - The Tao of Yo (Thirsty Ear)
- Various artists - Disney's Karaoke Series: Mary Poppins (Walt Disney)
- Various artists - Disney's Read-Along: Mary Poppins (Walt Disney)
- Various artists - Pure Techno 2 (Water Music)
- Various artists - Rugrats Holiday Classics! (BMG/SMG)
- Various artists - "Shall We Dance?" soundtrack (Casablanca)
- DVD: Phish - "It" (WEA Corp.)
- DVD: Various artists - "Apollo at 70: A Hot Night in Harlem" (Rhino)
- Michael Jackson - The Ultimate Collection (Sony)
Read: "Michael Jackson's Ultimate Box Set Has Demos, Hits, Live DVD"
- Jimmy Eat World - Futures (Interscope)
Read: "Jimmy Eat World Say If You Don't Like Futures Right Away, Don't Bother"
- Le Tigre - This Island (Universal)
- Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill (Anti)
Read: "Elliott Smith's Final Album Due In October"
- Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues/ Lyre of Orpheus (Anti)
- Leonard Cohen - Dear Heather (Sony)
- Donnas - Gold Medal (Atlantic)
Read: "The Donnas Take Charge With Gold Medal"
- Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any (Lava)
Read: "Simple Plan Less Simple On Second Album"
- AFI - AFI (Nitro)
- A Perfect Circle - Emotive (Virgin)
- Duran Duran - The Singles 1986-1995 (Capitol)
- Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 17 (Capitol)
- Britney Spears - Greatest Hits: My Prerogative (Jive)
Read: "Britney Covers Bobby Brown's 'My Prerogative' For Forthcoming LP"
- Ruben Studdard - I Need an Angel (J Records)
Read: "Ruben Studdard Decides Christmas Just Isn't Spiritual Enough"
- Vanessa Carlton - Harmonium (A&M Records)
- Shania Twain - Greatest Hits (Mercury Nashville