U2, Avril Lavigne, R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are among the artists donating tracks to a benefit album for Aung San Suu Kyi, an imprisoned Burmese humanitarian known to some as "Asia's Nelson Mandela."
For the Lady: Dedicated to Freeing Aung San Suu Kyi and the Courageous People of Burma, due October 26, features previously released tunes by Lavigne, Coldplay, Bright Eyes and Travis, while Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Damien Rice and Better Than Ezra contribute live cuts unavailable anywhere else. Also exclusive to the album is "Let Freedom Ring," a studio track by Audioslave guitarist Tom Morello's solo incarnation, the Nightwatchman.
U2 dedicated their contribution, "Walk On," to Aung San Suu Kyi on All That You Can't Leave Behind, the album on which it first appeared. The double album's final track, "Tempest of Blood," was written by a jailed student activist for democracy in Burma (which is also known as Myanmar).
Aung San Suu Kyi is the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient. For her efforts to promote democracy and human rights in Burma, she has garnered the support of President Bill Clinton, Senator John McCain, former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Desmond Tutu, among others. For the past 14 years, she has been under house arrest by Burma's repressive junta.
Proceeds from the sale of the album will benefit the nonprofit organization U.S. Campaign for Burma.
For the Lady track list, according to the album's publicist:
- U2 - "Walk On"
- Pearl Jam "Betterman" (live)
- Coldplay - "In My Place"
- Ani DiFranco - "In the Way"
- Bright Eyes - "No Lies, Just Love"
- R.E.M. - "Drive" (live)
- Avril Lavigne - "Complicated"
- Talib Kweli featuring John Legend - "Around My Way"
- Lili Haydn - "Unfolding Grace"
- Peter Gabriel - "Here Comes the Flood"
- Natalie Merchant - "Motherland"
- Maná - "Cuando Los Angeles Lloran"
- Rebecca Fanya - "Paper Airplanes"
- Ben Harper - "Oppression" (live)
- Paul McCartney - "Freedom" (live)
- The Nightwatchman - "Let Freedom Ring"
- Eric Clapton - "Wonderful Tonight"
- Sting - "Fragilidad"
- Bonnie Raitt - "Angel From Montgomery" (live)
- Damien Rice - "Lonely Soldier" (live)
- Travis - "The Cage"
- Guster - "Keep It Together"
- Hour Cast - "Memories and Lies"
- Indigo Girls - "Perfect World" (live)
- Better Than Ezra - "Get You In" (live)
- Matchbox Twenty - "So Sad, So Lonely"
- Mun Awng - "Tempest of Blood"