Killers frontman Brandon Flowers is scared of flying, so it's a good thing his band's next tour is a North American trek.
"We can't stand planes," said Flowers, who got sick on a recent flight to Japan when the band felt like the plane was free-falling for a minute. "In the U.S., we get to stay on a van or a bus."
The Las Vegas rockers' debut, Hot Fuss, was released in June and has been slowly climbing the Billboard 200 albums chart. The Killers have been on the road in support of the disc since July and even played a few shows with one of their idols, Morrissey.
"That was a really surreal moment," said drummer Ronnie Vannucci. "We were on a tour in a van somewhere in Kansas and we get this call: Morrissey wants you guys to open the five-day stint in Los Angeles at the Wiltern, and they're all sold-out shows."
Given that the Killers were just starting their own tour, they were unable to play all five dates, but they did make it for the opening and closing dates of Morrissey's residency.
Between July and the end of November, when the next leg of the tour ends, the Killers will have brought their hipster looks, energetic sounds and melancholy expressions to audiences all across the U.S. and parts of Canada (see "The Killers Out-Hip The Hipsters In New York"). Though there is no official opening act for the tour yet, support for select dates has been announced, including Canadian rocker Sam Roberts (September 3), Ambulance Ltd. (September 9-13) and the Walkmen (September 19).
The Killers tour dates, according to their record label:
- 9/3 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
- 9/4 - Victoria, BC @ Open Air
- 9/6 - Seattle, WA @ Bumbershoot Festival
- 9/8 - Winnipeg, MB @ West End Cultural Centre
- 9/9 - Minneapolis, MN @ The Quest
- 9/10 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
- 9/11 - Chicago, IL @ Metro-Smart Bar
- 9/12 - Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade (99X Radio Fest)
- 9/13 - St. Louis, MO @ Mississippi Nights
- 9/17 - Autin, TX @ Zilker Park (Austin City Limits Music Festival)
- 9/18 - Devore, CA @ Blockbuster Pavilion (KROQ Inland Invasion)
- 9/19 - Las Vegas, NV @ House of Blues
- 10/1 - Norfolk, VA @ The Norva
- 10/2 - Philadelphia, PA @ Theater of Living Arts
- 10/3 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 10/4 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 10/5 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 10/7 - Boston, MA @ The ROxy
- 10/8 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
- 10/9 - Ottawa, ON @ Capital Music Hall
- 10/11 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
- 10/12 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 10/14 - Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
- 10/16 - New Orleans, LA @ Voodoo Music Festival
- 10/17 - Houston, TX @ Reliant Center
- 10/19 - Dallas, TX @ Gypsy Tea Room
- 10/20 - Tulsa, OK @ Cain's Ballroom
- 10/21 - Lawrence, KS @ Granada Theater
- 10/22 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theatre
- 11/18 - Nashville, TN @ Exit/In
- 11/19 - Athens, GA @ 40 Watt Club
- 11/20 - Tampa, FL @ Masquerade
- 11/22 - Orlando, FL @ The Social
- 11/23 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room