Hitting stores this week are albums by two rap trios, a pop star's ex-boy-toy, angry hard rockers and one of the preeminent original pop-punk bands.
Hip-hop heavyweights Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg and Warren G have put their solo careers on hold in order to drop a supergroup superproject. 213, the group named after the former Long Beach, California, area code, release The Hard Way this week.
Ryan Cabrera, ex-boyfriend of Ashlee Simpson and up-and-coming singer/songwriter with a pop penchant, releases his major-label debut, Take It All Away. The album, co-produced by Goo Goo Dolls frontman Johnny Rzeznik, was penned almost two years ago, before Cabrera and Simpson were an item, so don't look for any love songs or angry breakup tunes about the starlet.
Saliva represent for hard rock with their most recent effort, Survival of the Sickest, the Memphis band's follow-up to 2002's Back Into Your System.
Northern State, the rap trio some have labeled the female Beastie Boys, will release their major-label debut, All City. The Long Island-bred ladies — Hesta Prynn, Guinea Love and DJ Sprout — released their first full-length album, Dying in Stereo, in 2003.
Original A-list alternative band the Talking Heads have two releases this week. The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads, the group's 1982 double live album, becomes available on CD for the first time, while The Best of the Talking Heads, the band's first single-disc greatest-hits album, includes hits "Psycho Killer," "Once in a Lifetime," "Burning Down the House" and 15 others.
Also out this week are albums by Rilo Kiley (More Adventurous), Presidents of the United States of America (Love Everybody) and Bruce Hornsby (Halcyon Days).
Out Tuesday, August 17:
- 213 - The Hard Way (TVT)
- John Brannen - The Good Thief (Sly Dog)
- Ryan Cabrera - Take It All Away (E.V.L.A./Atlantic)
- The Court and Spark - Witch Season (Absolutely Kosher)
- Good for Cows - Bebop Fantasy (Asian Man)
- Bruce Hornsby - Halcyon Days (Sony)
- Kissing Tigers - Pleasure of Resistance (Slowdance)
- Little Wings - Magic Wand (K Records)
- Moments in Grace - Moonlight Survived (Salad Days/Atlantic)
- Nagisa Ni Te - The Same As a Flower (Jagjaguwar)
- Northern State - All City (Columbia)
- Presidents of the United States of America - Love Everybody (Pusa Inc.)
- Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous (Brute/Beaute)
- Saliva - Survival of the Sickest (Island)
Read: "Saliva: Foaming At the Mouth"
- Sasquatch - Sasquatch (Small Stone)
- Tracy Shedd - Louder Than You Can Hear (Devil in the Woods)
- Slang - More Talk About Tonight (Terminus)
- Steve Smith and Vital Information - Come on In (Tone Center)
- Spiderbait - Tonight Alright (Interscope)
- Mavis Staples - Have a Little Faith (Alligator)
- The Sunshine Fix - Green Imagination (spinART)
- Steve Swallow With Ohad Talmor - The Bum’s Tale (Palmetto)
- Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (Rhino)
- The Jacob Fred Odyssey - Walking With Giants (Hyena)
- Travis Tritt - My Honky Tonk History (Sony)
- Twelve Girls Band - Eastern Energy (Platia Entertainment)
- The Uncle Devil Show - A Terrible Beauty (Compass)
- Various artists - Bump This (Pyramid)
- Various artists - Future Soundtrack for America (Barsuk)
- DVD: Various artists - "Hip Hop Story 3: Coast to Coast" (Ventura)
- DVD: Various artists - "Mayor of the Sunset Strip" (First Look)
- DVD: Nick Lachey & Jessica Simpson - "The Nick & Jessica Variety Hour" (Image)
- R. Kelly - Happy People/ U Saved Me (Jive)
- Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying (Curb)
- Jason Mraz - Tonight, Not Again - At the Eagles Ballroom (Elektra)
- Björk - Medulla (Elektra/ Asylum)
- Jill Scott - Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds 2 (Sony)
- Insane Clown Posse - Hell's Pit, Version 1 (Psychopathic)
- Insane Clown Posse - Hell's Pit, Version 2 (Psychopathic)
- Various artists - Passion of the Christ: Songs (Wind-Up)
- Christine McVie - In The Meantime (Koch)
- Alan Jackson - What I Do (Arista)
- Anita Baker - My Everything (Blue Note)