With just one major release this week, live albums from veteran rockers and new releases from smaller acts get a chance to shine.
The heavy-hitter this week is newcomer Kevin Lyttle and his R&B-tinged soca sound. Backed by the radio and television success of his ubiquitous single, "Turn Me On," Lyttle releases his self-titled debut album this week.
B.G., the rapper who popularized the all-important phrase "bling bling," releases his Life After Cash Money. Guests on the album include Snoop Dogg, Soulja Slim and Juvenile.
After the loss of two bandmembers last summer followed by talks of calling it quits, Taking Back Sunday took back control of the band and put together a follow-up to their debut album, 2002's Tell All Your Friends. Where You Want to Be hits stores this week.
Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers barrel onto shelves with live albums. Live at Benaroya Hall October 22, 2003 follows a whole mess of live LPs released by Pearl Jam last year. The Chili Peppers' Live in Hyde Park is their first release since their 2003 greatest-hits compilation.
Swedish band Sahara Hotnights are back in action after a three-year absence. The group's third studio album, Kiss & Tell, drops this week.
Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson will release his first solo album, Village Gorilla Head. The album contains material the former member of the Replacements has compiled over the last 10 years.
Badly Drawn Boy is back with his fourth album, One Plus One Is One, the follow-up to 2002's Have You Fed the Fish?
The buzz around New York band Scissor Sisters has been steadily growing for some time. The androgynous group will release its self-titled debut album of glam-inspired rock, pop and dance tracks.
Alt-country band Old 97's drop their sixth album, Drag It Up, the group's first since 2001. Indie pop rockers the Kings of Convenience hit fans with Riot on an Empty Street this week. And on the harder side of things are releases from Kittie (Until the End) and Otep (House of Secrets).
Also hitting shelves is the newest "Now That's What I Call Music!" compilation, Now 16, with tracks by D12, Outkast, Beyoncé, Christina Milian, JoJo and a slew of others.
Out Tuesday, July 27:
- .38 Special - Drive Train (Sanctuary)
- Badly Drawn Boy - One Plus One Is One (Astralwerks)
- BG - Life After Cash Money (Koch)
- Big Satan - Souls Saved Hear (Thirsty Ear)
- The Briggs - Leaving the Ways (SideOneDummy)
- The Buffseeds - The Picture Show (Sanctuary/Fantastic Plastic)
- Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral (Sub Pop)
- A.J. Croce - Aiden James Croce (Eleven Thirty)
- Gavin DeGraw - Chariot (Stripped) (J)
Buy Now: Chariot Stripped
- DJ Nu-Mark & Pomo - Blend Crafters (Up Above)
- Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant - Sister Phantom Owl Fish (Ipecac)
- Eleven Hundred Springs - Bandwagon (Compendia)
- Danny Elfman - Soundtrack to "Spider-Man 2" (Sony)
- The Everyones - The Everyones (Tee Pee)
- Freddy Fender - Close to My Heart (Fuel 2000)
- Tony Furtado - These Chains (Funzalo)
- Moses Guest - Guest Motel (Aufheben)
- Anthony Michael James - Old Friends (V-Tone/Compendia)
- Kings of Convenience - Riot on an Empty Street (Astralwerks)
- Kittie - Until the End (Artemis)
- Lamia - Dark Angel (Metropolis)
- k.d. lang - Hymns From the 49th Parallel (Nonesuch/Warner Bros.)
- Alan J. Lerner & Frederick Loewe - Soundtrack to "The Little Prince" (Decca)
- Letter Kills - The Bridge (Island)
- Laura Love - You Ain't Got No Easter Clothes (Koch)
- Kevin Lyttle - Kevin Lyttle (Elektra/Atlantic)
Buy Now: Kevin Lyttle
- M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts (Mute)
- Malevolent Creation - Warkult (Nuclear Blast)
- Herbie Mann and Phil Woods - Beyond Brooklyn (MCG Jazz)
- Maria McKee - Live in Hamburg (Little Diva)
- The Meat Purveyors - Pain by Numbers (Bloodshot)
- Bob Mintzer Big Band - Live at MCG With Kurt Elling (MCG Jazz)
- Nedelle and Thom - Summerland (Kill Rock Stars)
- Old 97's - Drag It Up (New West)
- Otep - House of Secrets (Capitol)
- Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall October 22, 2003 (J)
Buy Now: Live at Benaroyal Hall: October 22, 2003
- Phoenix - Alphabetical (Astralwerks)
- Pidgeon - From Gutter With Love (Absolutely Kosher)
- Doc Powell - Cool Like That (Heads Up)
- Punto Omega - Punto Omega (Metropolis)
- Mike Ragogna - Writer's Block (Collectors' Choice/ Bone People)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live in Hyde Park (Wea International)
- Sahara Hotnights - Kiss & Tell (RCA)
- San Ilya - They Died for Beauty (EMI/Capitol)
- Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters (Universal)
- Shifty - Happy Lovesick (Maverick)
- Starwood - If It Ain't Broke - Break It! (Metal Blade)
- Tommy Stinson - Village Gorilla Head (Sanctuary)
Read: [article id="1488293"]"GN'R Bassist Works Solo While Awaiting Chinese Democracy"[/article]
- Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want to Be (Victory)
Read: [article id="1488676"]"Taking Back Sunday Are Taking Back The Summer This Year"[/article]
- Tomatohead - Punch (Blossom)
- White Mud Freeway - Last Year's Junk (Bar/None)
- The Wylde Bunch - Wylde Tymes at Washington High (Red/ Columbia)
- Hans Zimmer - Soundtrack to "King Arthur" (G2/ Hollywood)
- Various artists - Caribbean Playground (Putumayo Kids)
- Various artists - Forever, for Always, for Luther (GRP)
- Various artists - Now 16 (UTV)
- Various artists - The Notorious Cherry Bombs (Universal South)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Motorcycle Mania" (iMUSIC)
- DVD: Moses Guest - "Edit" (Aufheben)
- DVD: Various artists - "Reggae on the River" (Sanctuary/ Ras)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Live (Vanguard Records)
- Marc Broussard - Carencro (Island)
- Cherie - Cherie (Lava)
- Alter Bridge - One Day Remains (Wind-Up)
Read: [article id="1488246"]"Life After Creed: Alter Bridge Look To A Stapp-Free Future"[/article]
- Richard Marx - My Own Best Enemy (Manhattan Records)
- Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare (Jive)
- Shyne - Godfather ... Buried Alive (Def Jam)
- Ryan Cabrera - Take It All Away (Atlantic)
- Saliva - Survival of the Sickest (Island)
- Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (Rhino)