The two biggest releases in this week's crop of new albums couldn't be more different: Texas-bred pop singer Ashlee Simpson and Swedish rockers the Hives.
At the young age of 19, Simpson has already completed her Autobiography. Jessica's little sis tries to step out of her big sister's shadow on her debut album by making her sound a little more rock and roll. Ashlee lets listeners into her personal life immediately with the first single, "Pieces of Me."
Pompous rockers the Hives return this week after a four-year absence. The Swedish band's Tyrannosaurus Hives follows up 2000's Veni Vidi Vicious and incorporates influences like T. Rex, Wire, Devo, the Who, the Rolling Stones and Electric Light Orchestra.
Hardcore punk band the Dillinger Escape Plan release their third album this week, Miss Machine, the follow-up to 2000's self-titled effort.
Rock trio By Divine Right are releasing their fourth album since their debut in 1997; Sweet Confusion hits stores this week.
The Faces — Rod Stewart, Ian McLagan, Ron Wood, Ronnie Lane and Kenney Jones — played blues- and soul-infused rock together from 1969-1975. This week a four-CD boxed set of their material titled Five Guys Walk Into a Bar hits stores.
Also out this week are albums by R&B trio Mis-teeq (Mis-teeq), rockers Hazen Street (Hazen Street) and power-pop punks Less Than Jake (B Is for B-Sides).
Out July 20:
- Ben Arnold - Calico (SCI Fidelity)
- Bitter, Bitter Weeks - Revenge (My Pal God)
- By Divine Right - Sweet Confusion (spinART)
- Chinese Stars - A Rare Sensation (Three One G)
- Michael Cooper - Are We Cool (Thump)
- Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine (Relapse)
- Sean Doyle - The Light and the Halflight (Compass)
- Ego Likeness - Water to the Dead (Noir)
- Faces - Five Guys Walk Into a Bar (Rhino)
- Fred One - Phobia of Doors (Raptivism)
- F--- - Those Are Not My Bongos (Future Farmer)
- Everette Harp - All for You (A440)
- Hazen Street - Hazen Street (Epic)
- Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives (Interscope)
Read: "Hives Album Preview: Out Of The Garage, Into The Laboratory"
Buy Now: Tyrannosaurus Hives (Interscope)
- Horns of Happiness - A Sea as a Shore (Secretly Canadian)
- Kieran Kane and Kevin Welch - You Can't Save Everybody (Compass)
- Less Than Jake - B Is for B-Sides (Sire)
- Lloyd - Southside (Def Jam)
- Low - Lifetime of Temporary Relief (Chairkickers Music)
- Maria Mena - White Turns Blue (Columbia)
- Mis-teeq - Mis-teeq (Reprise)
- Normanoak - Born a Black Diamond (Secretly Canadian)
- Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns (Second Nature)
- Grant Olney - Brokedown Gospel (Asian Man)
- Noam Pikelny - In the Maze (Compass)
- The Pink Mountaintops - The Pink Mountaintops (Jagjaguwar)
- Stan Ridgeway - Snakebite: Blacktop Ballads and Fugitive Songs (Redfly)
- Ashlee Simpson - Autobiography (Geffen)
Read: "Ashlee Simpson: The Rock Sister"
Buy Now: Autobiography (Geffen)
- Todd Snider - East Nashville Skyline (Oh Boy)
- Soda Club - Anthem Alert (Water Music)
- Rick Springfield - Mission Magic (Master Classics)
- Static-X - Beneath ... Between ... Beyond ... (Warner Bros.)
- The Dog & Everything - Sound Off (Emphasis)
- Those Darn Accordions! - Lawnball (Globe)
- Triple Seis - Only Time'll Tell (Ryko Records)
- Jessica Williams - Live at Yoshi's 1 (MAXJAZZ)
- Kevin Yost - Bongo Madness (I!)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to: "At Home at the End of the World" (Milan)
- DVD: Doors of the 21st Century - L.A. Woman Live (Image Entertainment)
- DVD: Various artists - NASCAR: Adrenaline Vol. 1 (Melee)
- Kevin Lyttle - Kevin Lyttle (Atlantic)
- Old 97s - Drag it Up (New West)
- Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall (Ten Club/BMG)
- Various artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 16 (UTV)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Live (Vanguard Records)
- Marc Broussard - Carencro (Island)
- Cherie - Cherie (Lava)
- Alter Bridge - One Day Remains (Wind-Up)
Read: "Life After Creed: Alter Bridge Look To A Stapp-Free Future"
- Richard Marx - My Own Best Enemy (Manhattan Records)
- Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare (Jive)
- Shyne - Godfather ... Buried Alive (Def Jam)